Chief Executive Officer (Non-profit CEO) – Albany, GA
Our portfolio company (Horizons Community Solutions) is seeking a Chief Executive Officer. Reporting to the Board of Directors, the CEO holds overall strategic and operational responsibility for Horizons Community Solutions’ programs, staff, organizational growth, and mission fulfillment. Incorporated in 2002, Horizons is a rapidly growing, nationally-recognized nonprofit organization. Due to its accomplishments and solid operational model, Horizons’ potential to expand is limitless. The ideal CEO demonstrates a passion for and understanding of community health, and brings a proven track record of strategic corporate growth, effective team management and results-driven
leadership. The CEO serves as Horizons’ top manager, main spokesperson, and highest level liaison between the organization and its many partners. Another key responsibility is leading diversified and constant fundraising. Horizons’ main office is in Albany, Georgia, but the CEO role involves significant statewide travel.
• Bachelor’s Degree in a business, health-related or other relevant field (Required)
• Master’s Degree in a relevant field, such as Business Administration, Health Care Administration, or Public Health (Preferred).
• Minimum of 10 years relevant and progressive management experience, preferably with a nonprofit or health-related organization.
• Minimum of 10 years experience in fiscal management skills, including budget analysis and reporting. Ability to balance limited budgets with the need to provide vital services.
• A track record of successful nonprofit fundraising, with experience in varied strategies and donor relations. Grant-writing skills preferred.
• Strong marketing and public relations experience. Exceptional written and verbal communication skills, including public speaking; a persuasive communicator who can passionately convey Horizons’ mission.
• Past success working with a Board of Directors.
• Expertise in leading and scaling a performance- and outcomes-based organization and staff; ability to give specific examples of having developed and operationalized strategies that have grown an organization.
• Past experience in or demonstrated understanding of community health, health-related systems, health promotion, healthcare, public health or disease prevention. Experience may include past jobs and/or board-level volunteer positions.
• Skilled organizational management that develops high-performing staff; sets and achieves strategic objectives; and prioritizes and delegates competing demands.
• Enthusiastic and proactive approach to initiating and sustaining relationships with multiple sectors, including corporate, healthcare/public health, elected officials, community/civic/nonprofit organizations, faith community, academia, federal and state agencies (e.g., CDC, NIH, GA
Department of Public Health), foundations and philanthropists.
• Frequent travel required throughout South Georgia each week, with occasional overnight travel to other locations; must have reliable personal vehicle, a safe driving record, and be eligible to rent vehicles for out-of-town travel (at Horizons’ expense).
• Expertise in collaborative approaches to achieving common goals.
• Entrepreneurial, with adaptable and novel approaches to planning and operations.
• Keen interpersonal insight; sensitivity toward and the ability to work with diverse races and ethnicities, cultures, socioeconomic statuses, education levels, ages, genders/sexuality, spiritual beliefs and more.
• Unwavering dedication to quality programs and data-driven evaluation.
• Knowledge of current national trends and issues related to community health.
• Ethically and socially responsible; enthusiastic and mission-driven.
• Demonstrated ability to organize, prioritize and complete multiple and competing tasks
• Ability to adapt and succeed in a fast-paced, continually changing environment while managing multiple deadlines and demands
• Excellent interpersonal skills, including an enthusiastic demeanor and the ability to build relationships with diverse individuals
• Commitment to high professional ethical standards and a diverse workplace
• Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite. Experience with or willingness to learn databases that support programs and fundraising.
• May be required to work outside of normal business hours, including occasional evenings and weekends.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Leadership, Management, and Mission Fulfillment
• Direct the organization in fulfillment of its vision and mission.
• Ensure excellence in all areas: administration, programs, finances, fundraising, operations, and communications. Elevate Horizons’ status as a national role model of innovative best practices.
• Maintain a strong Board of Directors and stellar board governance; serve as an ex-officio board member. Keep board members engaged in fulfilling Horizons’ mission and business plan, including expansion.
• Motivate Horizons’ managers, staff, partners, funders, and volunteers.
• Ensure effective systems to rigorously evaluate and document programmatic outcomes. Communicate successes to the board, funders, partners and others.
• Maintain Horizons’ fiscal integrity and transparency as well as its Four Star Rating by Charity Navigator.
Resource Development and Communications
• Expand and further diversify revenue generation/fundraising to support existing operations and programs as well as expansion, while maintaining financial stability.
Lead and oversee fundraising via pursuit of corporate support; individual donors; and federal, state and foundation grants as well as events and other methods.
• Develop and use external relationships to garner new opportunities for Horizons.
• Advocate to state and federal elected officials for increased funding; pursue grant opportunities; and increase corporate and individual donations.
• To create a stronger brand, extend and refine all aspects of communications, from web and social media presence to external relations.
Strategic Planning, Partner Relations, and Business Development
• Design the expansion of Horizons’ initiatives in community health, cancer, research and other areas, and lead expansion into new locations.
• Sustain current partnerships and develop new partner relationships.
• Be an uncompromising local, statewide and national presence who promotes replication of Horizons’ model programs and best practices.
Other Specific Job Activities
• Facilitate and increase the Board of Directors’ involvement in strategic planning, including expansion; fundraising; and promoting Horizons. Recommend approaches and outline resources needed to achieve goals.
• Communicate regularly with board members; prepare for and facilitate board meetings and committee meetings.
• Supervise the Chief Mission Officer (CMO) and Chief Financial Officer (CFO) and support their management of staff. Retain high performing managers.
• Work closely with the CMO and CFO to prepare a strategic plan every three years. Obtain board approval; implement, evaluate and annually update the plan.
• Work with the CFO to prepare and submit financial statements and an annual budget to the Board; advise Board on fiscal matters.
• Operate within the approved budget, maximize resource utilization, and maintain a positive financial position.
• Establish and maintain relationships with diverse entities throughout Georgia and the United States. Utilize relationships to expand Horizons’ initiatives and ensure long-term sustainability.
• Enthusiastically represent Horizons and regularly travel throughout Georgia and beyond. Attend functions, events and meetings, and give presentations to business and community leaders, academic organizations, the Georgia state legislature, civic organizations, professional associations/groups, and funders.
• Serve as Horizons’ primary spokesperson. Be highly visible and available to a broad range of stakeholders, constituents, and the media.
• Oversee marketing and communications, including website, social media and traditional venues.
• Oversee organization-wide quality control, in partnership with the CMO and CFO.
• Participate in leadership roles on national and statewide groups and initiatives.
• Oversee Human Resources functions including staff hiring and retention.
• Maintain appropriate policies and procedures and ensure employee compliance.
• Sign checks as well as agreements entered into and on behalf of Horizons.
• Manage risk and ensure organizational compliance with laws and regulations.
About our client – Horizons Community Solutions
Horizons Community Solutions is based in Albany, GA. Their mission is to strengthen Southwest Georgia communities and empower people to lead healthy and productive lives. Horizons Community Solutions is dedicated to strengthening communities and empowering people to lead healthy and productive lives. They are continuing the fight against cancer in South Georgia, but now doing even more. Horizons is working to address the underlying causes of disparities baby improving areas such as education, housing, healthcare access and workforce development.