Media Development Investment Fund
Investment Officer – India
The Investment Officer – India is responsible for MDIF’s investment work in the region, reporting directly to the Chief Investment Officer. There are two primary aspects to the role: engaging with and supporting the growth of companies in India and south Asia who are already part of MDIF’s portfolio; and working on the evaluation and execution of new investments.
The right candidate for this role must be a highly competent finance specialist with a proven track record in making investments (ideally both debt and equity). S/he must have a strong interest, if not experience, in impact investment and should share MDIF’s ethos. Knowledge of the news media sector is preferred, but not essential.
Line responsibilities include:
- Working in close collaboration with the Regional Director for India, help to develop a strong pipeline of good quality investment opportunities in the region by anticipating market trends and employing sector/country knowledge
- Evaluate new investment proposals in terms of risks and likely returns, underpinned by detailed business plans and thorough financial analysis of each individual company
- Build robust business cases with high level of accuracy using best-practice financial modelling
- Actively participate in and drive the financial due diligence process when evaluating new investment opportunities * Prepare and review material for investment committee/management team and help in the presentation of investment opportunities
- Form an integral part of deal negotiation/documentation teams together with the Regional Director and Legal colleagues; use strong negotiation skills and investment expertise to develop solutions for complex transactions
- Coordinate closely with Media Advisory Services (MAS) colleagues to add value to our Indian clients' businesses, find pragmatic solutions to the specific sector challenges, and achieve sustainable development impact
- Ensure close monitoring and reporting on clients’ ongoing financial performance, including identification of problem areas and recommended strategies for addressing them
- Monitoring and reporting on industry trends in the region; assessment of current trends in business practices, products, and competition
Relevant background and qualifications:
- A Bachelor’s degree at minimum, ideally with a finance, business, or economics concentration; MBA, CFA or equivalent is a plus
- At least 5 years of full-time M&A investment banking, credit finance or private equity experience of direct relevance to MDIF’s investing activity
- Operating experience in media or consumer-focused business is a strong plus
- Experience preparing detailed financial models and company business valuations
- Full understanding of financial statements analysis and preparation
- In depth experience forecasting Balance Sheets, Cash Flow Statements, and Profit and Loss Statements, including the linking of statements in dynamic models
- Strong analytical skills, including excellent knowledge of valuation methodologies
- Experience preparing and delivering management and/or investor presentations
- Agile communicator, commercially minded, able to transmit complex ideas to different types of stakeholders
- Works independently with a wide variety of people, including internal and external stakeholders
- Effectively manages and prioritizes multiple projects
- Skilled at preparing Excel spreadsheets and PowerPoint presentations
- High level of professionalism, discretion, and good judgement
- Ability to think critically and creatively
- Flexible and adaptable to changing priorities and new challenges
- Ability to meet deadlines and work well under pressure
- A passion for the issues of press freedom, independent journalism, access to information and democratic development
- A strong team-player, with a high level of comfort in a variety of cultural settings
- A willingness to travel internationally
The Investment Officer for India will not be based in a MDIF office but can opt to work from a location of their choosing. This location must allow easy communication with clients and stakeholders in the region, including the ability to make frequent company visits on a short-haul basis. MDIF offers a competitive salary, flexible working patterns and a generous annual leave allowance. MDIF is committed to diversity as a central organizational principle. We welcome applications from candidates of all backgrounds, especially from individuals in minority groups who are currently under-represented in the workplace. MDIF is an equal opportunity employer.
Submit a CV/resume together with a cover letter which clearly sets out your qualifications and suitability for the role by April 15, 2022.
MDIF is a not-for-profit impact investment fund specialising in the media sector, principally in news businesses. We work in countries where the press is not free.
Since 1995 MDIF has invested $255m in 131 independent media businesses in 44 countries, typically where the independence of journalism cannot be guaranteed and access to information is under threat. Our financing helps independent media companies to fulfil their commercial potential while safeguarding their editorial independence. We work with a range of businesses from early-stage ventures to established players seeking to expand audience or diversify revenues, often with companies that lack access to investment capital and always with companies committed to the highest standards of independent, quality journalism.
Part of our mission is to attract and aggregate capital for the independent media sector. To maximise the impact of our work, we invest funds from our own balance sheet and manage investments for others seeking financial and social returns on their impact capital.
Central to our investment strategy is MDIF’s conviction that a commercial investment-led approach of deploying risk capital to build economically viable, independent media businesses with lasting social impact is proven and highly effective. We are not a grant-making body but instead prefer the discipline and rigor of making investments to drive performance and secure economic viability. Our approach also emphasizes our belief in patient capital. We are an investor for the long-term. We understand that our clients work in challenging commercial and political conditions, and we carefully align our interests with theirs to build self-sufficient businesses which can thrive independently in the long run. We take a partnership approach; we do not invest and walk away. We engage actively with clients; we support them with specialist media sector advice and in many cases sit on company Boards to provide strategic direction and encourage the highest standards of corporate governance.
The Investment Team:
MDIF is a small organization with fewer than 50 staff, located around the world from Mexico City to Jakarta, from Warsaw to Johannesburg. Headquartered in New York, there is a European office in Prague and most other staff work remotely.
The Investment team is also small, numbering around half a dozen Investment Officers. There is essentially one team member for each of MDIF’s regions of operation. The work of the investment team divides evenly between making new investments and managing the existing portfolio. Portfolio management involves not just monitoring and reporting on clients, but also working closely with them to provide advice and constructive challenge in pursuit of their corporate ambitions. In making new investments, the Investment team members work closely alongside their counterpart Regional Program Directors who take responsibility for the mission and impact aspects of MDIF’s work. The Investment team also has important internal relationships with the Legal and Finance departments, as well as with MDIF’s in-house advisory/technical assistance team.