Media Development Investment Fund
Program Officer for Funding and Investor Relations
The role of the Programme Officer for Funding and Investor Relations is to be the right-hand person to the Chief Strategy Officer (CSO). You will help drive the outreach plan, collaborate, and provide follow-through on CSO-driven initiatives, support the CSO with internal and external relationships, work closely with the CSO and other members of the management team on fundraising and public relations.
- Conducting research on fundraising opportunities.
- Contributing to funding proposals and submitting these to potential funders.
- Support all fundraising and investor relations communications, e.g., following up with and responding to funders’ and investors’ requests.
- Create and help create presentations for external meetings and fundraising.
- Provide follow-through on CSO activities.
- Represent the CSO at meetings as required.
- Serve as a brainstorming partner e.g., work with the CSO and the Communications team to identify new strategies to fundraise and raise awareness.
- To be successful in this role you will have:
- A genuine appetite to learn.
- Project management skills and experience.
- Excellent verbal, written and presentation communication skills.
- Ability to work in a flexible manner in a variety of tasks.
- Comfort in working in an international, geographically dispersed multi-cultural organization.
- Good judgement, a strategic mindset, and strong people skills.
- Willingness to travel internationally.
- A track record in leading and delivering projects and partnerships, often managing a range of internal and external stakeholders.
- A passion for press freedom.
This position will report directly to the CSO and location should be in Europe.
MDIF offers a competitive salary, flexible working patterns and a generous annual leave allowance.
MDIF is committed to diversity as a central organizational principle. We welcome applications from candidates of all backgrounds, especially from individuals in minority groups who are currently under-represented in the workplace.
MDIF is a not-for-profit impact investment fund specialising in the media sector, principally in news businesses. We work in countries where the press is not free.
Since 1995 MDIF has invested $255m in 131 independent media businesses in 44 countries, typically where the independence of journalism cannot be guaranteed and access to information is under threat. Our financing helps independent media companies to fulfil their commercial potential while safeguarding their editorial independence. We work with a range of businesses from early-stage ventures to established players seeking to expand audience or diversify revenues, often with companies that lack access to investment capital and always with companies committed to the highest standards of independent, quality journalism.
Central to our investment strategy is MDIF’s conviction that a commercial investment-led approach of deploying risk capital to build economically viable, independent media businesses with lasting social impact is proven and highly effective. We are not a grant-making body but instead prefer the discipline and rigor of making investments to drive performance and secure economic viability. Our approach also emphasizes our belief in patient capital. We are an investor for the long-term. We understand that our clients work in challenging commercial and political conditions, and we carefully align our interests with theirs to build self-sufficient businesses which can thrive independently in the long run. We take a partnership approach; we do not invest and walk away. We engage actively with clients; we support them with specialist media sector advice and in many cases sit on company Boards to provide strategic direction and encourage the highest standards of corporate governance.
MDIF is an equal opportunity employer.
Submit a CV/resume together with a covering letter which clearly sets out your qualifications and suitability for the role by March 15, 2022.