Media Development Investment Fund
Administrative Assistant to General Counsel
Administrative Assistant to General Counsel is part of a legal department comprised of four lawyers, including the General Counsel, serving the needs of a dynamic mission driven not-for-profit organization operating globally. Assistant to General Counsel shall principally assist the General Counsel in coordinating and overseeing all legal affairs of Media Development Investment Fund (MDIF), provided, however, that to the extent possible, Assistant to General Counsel shall also assist other members of the legal department team.
Key Responsibilities of Administrative Assistant to General Counsel’s duties broadly cover three areas:
Paralegal work related to MDIF Investments and Grants
- Assist in selection of local legal counsels MDIF engages in the countries in which MDIF operates: get referrals, obtain information about legal professionals, establish initial contacts and schedule meetings.
- Coordinate and oversee pre-investment process: analyze, prepare and follow–up on all correspondence regarding applications; ensure that all pertinent legal issues have been addressed prior to the investment committee; assist in due diligence process; ensure compliance with the procurement procedures when equipment is being financed by the investment; coordinate with local counsel and other departments within MDIF (investment, finance and accounting).
- Type up and draft minutes of various meetings; memoranda, notes to the file, and correspondence.
- Coordinate on compliance issues with accounting and finance departments.
- Ensure compliance with all related administrative requirements for making investments in the country of operation (including registration, licenses and tax and VAT compliance).
- Assist in annual review of collateral overseas.
MDIF Corporate Housekeeping and Compliance
- Prepare and maintain documentation.
- Organize file system and company records.
- Maintain appropriate files and documents related to PRIs and other activities.
- Periodic review of the files and annual review in preparation for the audit and tax return.
- Maintain the Board Book.
- Maintain the log of minutes and Board resolutions.
- Research related to and assist with drafting internal policies, procedures and other internal documents.
- Periodic review of internal policies and procedures.
- Provide administrative and other support to the General Counsel.
- Scheduling and meeting coordination.
- Expense reports.
- Attendance calendar for legal department.
- General office administration.
- University degree in international development, media or humanities, or at least 2 years of experience within international development sector.
- Motivated self-starter with good interpersonal and communication skills.
- Fluency in spoken and written English. Knowledge of Serbo-Croatian, Russian, Spanish or French is an advantage.
- Ability to work both independently and as a part of an international team.
- The Administrative Assistant to General Counsel shall be based in Belgrade, Serbia.
- A passion for press freedom.
- The Administrative Assistant to General Counsel shall report to the General Counsel.
- The Administrative Assistant to General Counsel will work closely with the rest of MDIF and in particular with Regional Directors and investment team.
MDIF is a not-for-profit impact investment fund specialising in the media sector, principally in news businesses. We work in countries where the press is not free.
Since 1995 MDIF has invested $255m in 131 independent media businesses in 44 countries, typically where the independence of journalism cannot be guaranteed and access to information is under threat. Our financing helps independent media companies to fulfil their commercial potential while safeguarding their editorial independence. We work with a range of businesses from early-stage ventures to established players seeking to expand audience or diversify revenues, often with companies that lack access to investment capital and always with companies committed to the highest standards of independent, quality journalism.
Central to our investment strategy is MDIF’s conviction that a commercial investment-led approach of deploying risk capital to build economically viable, independent media businesses with lasting social impact is proven and highly effective. We are not a grant-making body but instead prefer the discipline and rigor of making investments to drive performance and secure economic viability. Our approach also emphasizes our belief in patient capital. We are an investor for the long-term. We understand that our clients work in challenging commercial and political conditions, and we carefully align our interests with theirs to build self-sufficient businesses which can thrive independently in the long run. We take a partnership approach; we do not invest and walk away. We engage actively with clients; we support them with specialist media sector advice and in many cases sit on company Boards to provide strategic direction and encourage the highest standards of corporate governance.
MDIF is an equal opportunity employer.
Submit a CV/resume together with a covering letter which clearly sets out your qualifications and suitability for the role