- Working with MDIF’s Standing Investment Committee (IC), develop strategies for and manage MDIF’s work in Europe, taking account of needs of local media and risks and opportunities presented by the local political and economic environments.
- Build MDIF investment pipeline in Europe by identifying potential loan and equity candidates including for MDIF-managed Pluralis investment vehicle.
- Prepare materials for initial assessment by IC and for programmatic decisions by MDIF Board of Directors, including analysis of applicants in respect of their importance, impact, compatibility with MDIF mission, business prospects, and other relevant criteria.
- Research and prepare materials for country updates and approvals by MDIF Board of Directors.
- Be a point of contact for candidates and clients on non-financial issues; working with other MDIF staff in and outside Europe, be responsible for managing all non-financial elements of the investment process for projects in Europe.
- Lead the monitoring of the mission related aspects of clients’ work. In close collaboration with MDIF Media Advisory Services (MAS) co-ordinate technical assistance for MDIF clients and candidates in Europe; in cooperation with project teams identify needs of specific candidates and clients and cohorts of similarly situated clients.
- Provide strategic advice to clients within the areas of Program Director’s media management expertise.
- On a case-by-case basis, sit on investees’ boards of directors as MDIF’s nominee. Network, build relationships, and drive partnerships with other media support organisations in Europe, and represent MDIF at events.
- Participate in fundraising efforts with local funders and media investors; prepare program reports to funders and investors.
- Manage special media programs in Europe on behalf of MDIF.
- Proven experience in management of a news organisation and in journalism. Additional experience in finance and/or media support is a plus.
- Understanding of media environment in Central and East European countries, with a strong interest in deepening it further.
- Fluency in spoken and written English; knowledge of Russian and/or Serbo-Croatian an advantage. Outstanding communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work both independently and as a part of an international team.
- The Program Director shall be based in Europe. Willingness to be based in Prague, Czech Republic is a plus.
- A passion for press freedom.
- The Program Director shall report to the Chief Operating Officer.
- The Program Director will work closely with MDIF’s investment, legal and Media Advisory Services teams.
Submit a CV/resume together with a covering letter which clearly sets out your qualifications and suitability for the role by March 15, 2022.
MDIF is a not-for-profit impact investment fund specialising in the media sector, principally in news businesses. We work in countries where the press is not free.
Since 1995 MDIF has invested $255m in 131 independent media businesses in 44 countries, typically where the independence of journalism cannot be guaranteed and access to information is under threat. Our financing helps independent media companies to fulfil their commercial potential while safeguarding their editorial independence. We work with a range of businesses from early-stage ventures to established players seeking to expand audience or diversify revenues, often with companies that lack access to investment capital and always with companies committed to the highest standards of independent, quality journalism.
Central to our investment strategy is MDIF’s conviction that a commercial investment-led approach of deploying risk capital to build economically viable, independent media businesses with lasting social impact is proven and highly effective. We are not a grant-making body but instead prefer the discipline and rigor of making investments to drive performance and secure economic viability. Our approach also emphasizes our belief in patient capital. We are an investor for the long-term. We understand that our clients work in challenging commercial and political conditions, and we carefully align our interests with theirs to build self-sufficient businesses which can thrive independently in the long run. We take a partnership approach; we do not invest and walk away. We engage actively with clients; we support them with specialist media sector advice and in many cases sit on company Boards to provide strategic direction and encourage the highest standards of corporate governance.
MDIF is an equal opportunity employer.
1Council of Europe countries plus Belarus