Media Development Investment Fund
Senior Investment Officer – Latin America
The Senior Investment Officer Latin America is responsible for MDIF’s overall investment work in the region, reporting directly to the Chief Investment Officer. The primary aspects of the role include:
- Managing existing portfolio incl. advising companies on their strategy and performance, monitoring their performance, ensuring debt repayment, and designing feasible exit strategies for the equity investments
- Leading through full investment cycle for new investments with particular focus on evaluation and execution of new deals
The ideal candidate has 8+ years of investment experience with a proven track record. Strong interest in impact investment and/or media industry is preferred.
- Working in close collaboration with the Program Director for Latin America to identify investment needs in the region and develop a strong pipeline of good quality investment opportunities
- Evaluating new investment proposals
- Reviewing and/or building financial models, valuations, business cases
- Structuring, negotiating, and closing new transactions, portfolio restructurings, capital increases, equity sales, etc.
- Managing due diligence process with internal and external partners
- Preparing recommendation and full supporting materials for the Investment Committee
- Working closely with portfolio companies, monitoring their performance, and advising on the strategy and identified challenges
- Ensuring proper reporting both internally and externally
- Depending on the organization needs represent MDIF as a member of investee boards
Relevant Background and Qualifications:
- A Master’s degree in finance, business or economics; MBA, CFA, ACCA or equivalent is a plus
- At least 8 years of full-time M&A, private equity/venture capital or transactional advisory services experience
- Proven track record in structuring equity and/or debt deals
- Experience in leading full investment cycle
- Strong financial background in preparing detailed financial models and company business valuations
- Experience preparing and delivering management and/or investor presentations
- Excellent analytical skills and sound judgement
- Strong communications skills, including the ability to present complex issues to varying audiences
- Works independently with a wide variety of people, including internal and external stakeholders
- Flexible and adaptable in managing multiple projects, priorities, and new challenges
- Ability to meet deadlines and work well under pressure
- A strong team-player, with a high level of comfort in a variety of cultural settings
- Operating experience in media is a plus
- A willingness to travel
- Fluency in spoken and written English and Spanish. Fluency in additional languages is a plus
MDIF is a not-for-profit impact investment fund specialising in the media sector, principally in news businesses. We work in countries where the press is not free.
Since 1995 MDIF has invested $255m in 131 independent media businesses in 44 countries, typically where the independence of journalism cannot be guaranteed and access to information is under threat. Our financing helps independent media companies to fulfil their commercial potential while safeguarding their editorial independence. We work with a range of businesses from early-stage ventures to established players seeking to expand audiences or diversify revenues, often with companies that lack access to investment capital and always with companies committed to the highest standards of independent, quality journalism.
Central to our investment strategy is MDIF’s conviction that a commercial investment-led approach of deploying risk capital to build economically viable, independent media businesses with lasting social impact is proven and highly effective. Our approach also emphasizes our belief in patient capital. We are an investor for the long-term. We engage actively with clients; we support them with specialist media sector advice and on company boards we provide strategic direction and encourage the highest standards of corporate governance.
MDIF is a small organization with fewer than 50 staff, located around the world from Mexico City to Jakarta, from Warsaw to Johannesburg. Headquartered in New York, there is a European office in Prague and most staff work remotely.
MDIF offers a competitive salary, flexible working patterns and a generous annual leave allowance. We are committed to diversity as a central organizational principle and we welcome applications from candidates of all backgrounds, especially from individuals in minority groups who are currently under-represented in the workplace.
Submit a CV/resume together with a cover letter which clearly sets out your qualifications and suitability for the role by June 15, 2022.