The Multi-Site Service Director is responsible for the overall appearance, maintenance, and repair of the apartment community. The Service Director, under the supervision of the Community Director, coordinates and supervises the maintenance staff and actively participates in punching new units, maintaining the asset, and performing preventative maintenance for the entire community while promoting resident satisfaction. In addition, they are responsible for supervising and bidding out the work performed by outside contractors and recruiting service team members. The Service Director position requires the ability to serve on-call, as scheduled or necessary; an emergency on call rotation is a requirement of this position.
Character and Behavioral Characteristics
Display the following Behavioral Characteristics (Nehemiah Management standard characteristics)
• Personal alignment reflected in conversation and conduct to the company’s core values of strategy, trust, integrity, legacy, and love
• Committed and actively striving towards continued self-development • Possesses and demonstrates a servant’s heart
• Sense of urgency
• High behavioral vitality - energy level
• High moral fiber - character and integrity
• Engaged in ministry efforts
• Ability to operate from a mindset of propriety concerning timeliness and fiduciary awareness
• Ability to operate in a fluid environment and demonstrate flexibility in terms of evolving processes and schedules
• Ability to communicate effectively and make a positive contribution to the team
• Willing to provide and accept feedback from all team members and leadership to improve company culture and efficiency
• Diagnose and perform maintenance/repair on A/C and heating, electrical and plumbing systems, water and sewer lines, stairs, gates, fences, patios, railings, roofing, gutters, tile, carpet, flooring, fireplaces, ceiling fans, appliances, shutters, doors, cabinets, windows, gas and electric boilers, walls and ceilings, security systems, pool area and other equipment as required.
• Under the direction of the Community Director, supervise and schedule maintenance activities for apartment community and maintenance staff. Including but not limited to, apartment make-readies, service requests and staff scheduling so that service is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
• Order, store, and maintain inventory of equipment, supplies, and materials while operating within approved maintenance budget.
• Provide input to Community Manager in determining needs for next fiscal year budget.
• Walk vacancies to determine make-ready needs. Ensure all cleaning/repairs/replacements necessary for an apartment to be occupied are completed. If major appliances or carpets need replacing, discuss with Community Director before acting. Report all made-ready units to the Community Director for approval.
• Participate in preventative maintenance to include pool, exterior lighting, filter changes, company provided equipment and apartment inspections.
• Communicate assignments and major tasks to maintenance employees. Make sure they have all the instructions necessary to complete assignment properly.
• Provide input to Community Director regarding employee performance evaluations, employee compliments from residents, corrective counseling needs, etc.
• Understands and adheres to OSHA standards and requirements and trains team on safety procedures, and the use of personal protective devices.
• Assist Community Director in recruiting and interviewing potential staff members.
• Must be available to workdays, nights, evenings, and weekends, as necessary.
• Always ensure a professional appearance and manner for oneself and all personnel.
• Miscellaneous duties as required.
The job description is not an all-inclusive list of functions and tasks. Job functions may be added, deleted, or modified at any time by the company without prior verbal or written notification.
• High School or general equivalent degree (GED) required
• EPA certifications Type I and II preferred
• HVAC Certified
• Pool School Certification
• Three years general maintenance/facilities experience, preferably in an apartment setting
• Minimum 1-year supervisory experience
Success Factors/ Job Competencies
• Must have the ability to develop, maintain, and foster relationships at every level among the organization and with external customers and vendors
• Excellent organizational ability to establish priorities, organize workload, handle multiple tasks, and meet deadlines in a fast-paced working environment
• Must be able to read and comprehend instructions, correspondence, and memos
• Ability to exercise initiative, problem solving and decision-making skills.
• Must have the ability to effectively communicate with residents, vendors, and other employees of the organization
• Must be able to manage conflict constructively, provide strategic direction, and manage the performance of maintenance staff members
• Can make and implement decisions under conditions of risk and/or uncertainty
• Strong working knowledge and technical ability of all aspects of building maintenance and repair
• Strong leadership and customer service skills
Physical Demands/ Work Environment
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing duties of the job, incumbent is often required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; talk and hear. Employee must often lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
Work Environment: The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Nehemiah Management is committed to providing equal opportunity in all practices, which affect employees and applicants for employment. The company shall ensure that decisions affecting employees are made without regard to their race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, citizenship, genetic information, or any other protected category under federal, state, or local law. Nehemiah Management's Equal Employment Opportunity Policy requires the commitment of every Property Manager and Supervisor. All employees are expected to participate in and actively support these efforts.