Materials and Processes Engineer
As an employee at X-Bow, you will be given the opportunity to participate in a range of diverse activities to apply X-Bow’s unique technologies as well as the flexibility to focus on areas that will further your individual professional interests and career path. In this position, you will serve a critical role in helping us execute advanced technology projects and conduct space launch programs for the U.S. Department of Defense (DoD) and other government agencies. We are looking for a candidate who combines strong communication, organization, and management skills with broad interests and experience in the aerospace industry. As a key member of a small, dynamic, and highly skilled team you will be expected to actively collaborate with others as well as work independently to successfully accomplish assignments and responsibilities. Creativity and methodical problem solving are both required.
· Work with the assigned lead engineer, chemist, and project team to apply knowledge of engineering and scientific principles to resolve materials and processes related issues relative to solid rocket propellant or other materials X-Bow will utilize in the development, fabrication, and testing of rocket motors and launch vehicles
· Participate in design reviews and customer technical interchange meetings. Support design process by providing material selection recommendations, creating material specifications, reviewing design drawings, reviewing manufacturing planning, providing supplier technical support, and supporting Engineering Review Boards.
· Understand and characterize various materials. Identify, develop, and/or release material properties (design allowables) to support design and analysis engineering disciplines.
· Perform engineering analysis of nonconforming hardware including coordination of analysis for disposition of Material Review Board documents. Maintain interactions with customers on materials-related issues such as materials obsolescence. Conduct project progress reviews to ensure program control. Analyze and document technical conclusions of hardware failure. Conduct failure analysis to determine root cause.
· Assist Manufacturing in the development of production processes through design of experiments for implementation and transition to production.
· Prepare complete and comprehensive reports
· Understand and interpret regulations and their impact on the Company’s operations
Experience and Skill Requirements
· 5+ years of experience is preferred
· Analyze engineering problems and adopt effective courses of action
· Strong project planning, critical thinking, written and oral communication skills are required as well as proficiency with Microsoft Office products (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint)
· Contribute to and operative effectively with multi-disciplinary technical teams for research, development, and manufacturing activities
· Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work
This position requires a Bachelor of Science degree in Materials Engineering, Materials Science and Engineering, Chemical Engineering or similar major, and a minimum of 5 years of directly related technical experience (or an equivalent combination of education and experience). An Advanced degree is desirable.
Must be a US Citizen. May be required to obtain and maintain a U.S. Security Clearance at the appropriate level. Must be able to satisfy federal government requirements for access to government information; having dual citizenship may preclude you from being able to meet this requirement.
We are a Covid-19 Vaccine Mandated Employer
Additionally, we are looking for someone energetic, flexible, and adaptable, who is enthusiastic about being an integral part of a highly competent and successful team.
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
X-Bow Launch Systems, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with X-Bow Launch Systems, Inc. is based on merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.