Role: Assistant Controller/Controller
About the role
We are seeking a highly motivated, experienced and detail-oriented individual to join our growing, fast-paced team at as a Controller. This is a highly visible role, and the ideal candidate must have demonstrated success in building, improving, optimizing and scaling finance business processes across the organization. They will inspire excitement and results in others and have the confidence and credibility to partner with all levels of the organization.
How you will contribute
- Responsible for all accounting activities, including hands-on responsibility for technical accounting, audit, tax, statutory reporting, treasury, and insurance.
- Leads audit process, including interfacing with external auditors, to ensure a transparent and complete audit outcome.
- Strengthen existing internal financial control system and propose new control policies.
- Responsible for creating and strengthening internal policy with regard to company controls.
- Ensures accounting policies and practices comply with US GAAP and company controls.
- Performs period end reviews to ensure accurate and complete financial records.
- Prepares and reviews journal entries and supports Accounting Team with AP, G/L, and payroll as necessary.
- Supports FP&A budgeting and analyses, including compiling monthly budget-to-actual information to understand key business drivers and support managerial decision making.
- Provides sound financial guidance to company personnel on purchasing decisions and contract negotiations.
- Advises on accounting impact of financing activities such as equity fundraising, collaboration negotiation, and debt financing.
- May support investor communications and preparation of key messages and updates to internal and external stakeholders.
- Will provide a key role in setting up and administering necessary ERP, purchasing systems, and related systems to achieve continual improvements in process and efficiency.
- Builds relationships cross-functionally to foster collaboration both inside and outside of finance and accounting.
- Other responsibilities or activities as necessary.
What you bring to the team
- Bachelor's Degree with 5+ years of relevant experience, MBA or advanced degree preferred.
- Demonstrated understanding of accounting principles, including US GAAP, and the ability to apply them to new and existing transactions. CPA strongly preferred.
- Audit experience at a Big 4 or other nationally recognized accounting firm preferred.
- Financial systems experience including hosted ERP, payroll, and equity accounting solutions.
- Demonstrated financial and business acumen.
- Proven ability to produce timely and accurate results within tight timeframes and simultaneously manage several projects.
- Excellent analytical skills with the ability to diagnose and resolve problems with minimal direction.
- Enterprise SaaS experience strongly preferred.
- Marketplace experience is a plus.
- International experience a plus.
- Ability to innovate and use technology to improve processes and performance.
- Desire for continuous improvement and challenging the status quo.
- Strong interpersonal skills with a high attention to detail and organizational skills.