DC Green Bank (DCGB) seeks a General Counsel (GC) to support its mission to provide access to capital, grow the clean economy to develop a more equitable, resilient, and sustainable DC. Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer (CEO), the GC is responsible for overseeing the legal matters of the organization, as well as providing expert and strategic legal advice to the leadership team on operations and financial products. The GC will also provide day-to-day legal and compliance support to the organization and manage the work of outside counsel. As a key member of the leadership team, the GC will play a significant role in this growing and high-impact organization.
· Oversee all legal matters and advise the CEO and leadership team on financial transactions, organization strategy and development, financial products, and operations.
· Manage the deal closing process in concert with deal leads and the leadership team.
· Prepare and review term sheets, loan agreements, contracts, MOUs, licenses, leases, and other associated documents.
· Engage and oversee legal work provided by outside counsel.
· Proactively identify and mitigate legal risks impacting DCGB.
· Maintain expertise in laws and regulations pertaining to the organization and anticipate impacts from legislative and regulatory changes.
· Protect DCGB from undue exposure, liability, and financial loss, as well as the organization’s reputation, resources, programs, and products.
· Create and maintain compliance policies and procedures.
· Develop and implement solutions that support cost-effective clean energy transactions.
· Advise DCGB on litigation matters involving the organization, in coordination with outside counsel.
· Develop and manage the legal budget for the organization, in coordination with the leadership team.
· Execute tasks necessary for DCGB to fulfill its obligations related to compliance with statutory and regulatory requirements, as well as internal processes and procedures.
· Oversee IT matters relating to compliance, such as security and document management.
· Report and advise the CEO and Board of Directors on a range of legal matters and activities.
The Ideal Candidate:
The ideal candidate is an experienced attorney with a demonstrated track record of working in clean energy, government, commercial banking, and/or a related financial institution. A combination of private and public sector experience at the national or District-level is a plus.
DCGB seeks an analytical and strategic thinker to fill this role. The candidate must be a strong communicator who works well independently, as well as collaboratively with diverse teams and stakeholders. The candidate should demonstrate a commitment to inclusive prosperity, and to providing resources to underserved communities. As the GC will play an integral role in a leadership team charged with tackling climate change issues and deploying sustainable finance at a local level for national impact, the candidate should bring an entrepreneurial and creative spirit to DCGB.
· JD with 10 years or more of legal experience.
· Active member of the DC Bar in good standing, or eligible to become an active member.
· Demonstrated knowledge of commercial banking and general corporate matters.
· Transactional experience with a demonstrated track record of creating value for clients.
· In-house experience advising senior executives and working across departments.
· Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects and meet deadlines with minimal supervision.
· Experience applying and interpreting local and federal statutes and legal opinions.
· Experience budgeting and managing financial resources.
· Exceptional analytical, problem-solving, and written/verbal communication skills.
· Ability to handle and maintain the confidentiality of highly sensitive information.
· Commitment to the mission of DCGB.
· Status: Full-time,
· Location: Washington, DC,
· Salary and benefits commensurate with experience; anticipated salary range is $195,000 - $200,000 annually,
· DCGB policies include a preference for hiring District residents, or individuals who become District residents within 180 days of their becoming an employee of DCGB.
· Interested applicants should submit (1) a detailed cover letter expressing their interest and fit for the position, and (2) a CV/resume clearly outlining experience, abilities, and qualifications satisfying the needs of the organization.
· Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
About DC Green Bank:
DC Green Bank develops and facilitates innovative financial solutions to support District businesses, organizations, and residents on the path to a cleaner future for all. We invest in solar energy systems, energy efficient buildings and retrofits, green stormwater infrastructure, and transportation electrification in line with our values of Sustainability, Clean Economy, and Inclusive Prosperity. To date, DC Green Bank has invested millions of dollars in a cleaner, greener, and more equitable future. To learn more, please visit us at www.dcgreenbank.com.