DC Green Bank seeks a General Counsel (GC) to help continue to build this cutting-edge, mission-driven organization. Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer (CEO), the GC is responsible for expanding and overseeing the legal function of the organization, as well as advising the leadership team on operations and financial products. The GC will provide day-to-day legal and compliance support to the organization and manage the work of outside counsel. As a key member of the leadership team, the GC will play a key role in determining the success of this growing and high-impact organization.
· Oversee all legal matters and advise the CEO and leadership team on financial transactions, organization strategy and development, financial products, and operations.
· Manage the deal closing process in concert with the deal lead and leadership team.
· Prepare and review term sheets, loan agreements, contracts, MOUs, licenses, leases, and other agreements.
· Proactively identify and mitigate legal risks impacting organization decisions.
· Maintain expertise in laws and regulations pertaining to the organization and anticipate impact to the organization from legislative and regulatory changes.
· Protect the organization from undue exposure, liability, and significant financial loss, as well as the organization’s reputation, resources, programs, and products.
· Create and maintain organizational compliance policies and procedures.
· Develop and implement innovative methods for reducing legal spend in clean energy transactions.
· Advise DC Green Bank on litigation matters involving the organization, in coordination with outside counsel.
· Develop and manage the legal budget for the organization, in coordination with the leadership team.
· Engage and oversee legal work provided by outside counsel.
· Report and advise on legal issues and activities to the CEO and Board of Directors.
The Ideal Candidate:
The ideal candidate is a legal generalist with experience working at a clean energy, commercial banking, or start-up organization, and both private and public sector experience. You are an analytical and strategic thinker and entrepreneurial attorney with an ability to evaluate information and risk and recommend an appropriate commercial course of action. You have significant experience working in the District, and a strong understanding of its unique status under home rule. You have excellent judgment and are not afraid to make difficult decisions. You are excited by complex challenges and enjoy finding creative and effective ways to solve problems. You are a strong communicator, able to explain complicated concepts clearly to other people. You work well independently and collaboratively with diverse teams and with broad groups of stakeholders. You have an ownership and team player mentality, willing to take on additional responsibilities to fill in the needs of DC Green Bank. You are committed to inclusive prosperity, and to providing resources to historically excluded groups. You are committed to tackling climate change issues at a local level for global impact and you will strive to bring an entrepreneurial and creative spirit to DC Green Bank.
· JD with 10 years or more of legal experience
· Active member of the DC Bar in good standing or eligible to become an active member
· Demonstrated knowledge of commercial banking and general corporate matters
· Transactional experience with a demonstrated track record of creating value for clients
· In house experience advising senior executives and working across departments
· Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects and competing deadlines with minimal supervision
· Experience applying and interpreting local and federal statutes and legal opinions
· Experience budgeting and managing financial resources
· Exceptional analytical, problem-solving, and written/verbal communication skills
· Ability to handle and maintain the confidentiality of highly sensitive information
· Commitment to the mission of the DC Green Bank
· Status: Full-time
· Location: Currently remote; hybrid Washington, DC required in the near future
· Salary and Benefits commensurate with experience; maximum base salary is $190,000 annually
· Washington, DC residency is highly preferred; candidates with residency status or willing to relocate to Washington, DC within 6 months of starting the position will be given preference
· Interested applicants should submit (1) a detailed cover letter expressing their interest and fit for the position, and (2) a CV/resume clearly outlining experience, abilities, and qualifications satisfying the needs of the organization.
· Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.