Chief Investment Officer
DC Green Bank seeks a Chief Investment Officer (CIO) to help lead this cutting-edge, mission-driven financial organization to scale. Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer (CEO), the CIO will be responsible for deploying, and managing the organization’s financial portfolio, as well as securing capital funding. The CIO will actively seek new products that address market barriers and are aligned with the mission of the organization. As a key leader of the management team, the CIO will play an important role in determining the strategic direction of this growing, high-impact organization.
● Develop with the CEO the annual investment goals/targets (to be owned by the CIO) that complement the strategic direction of the DC Green Bank and advance the deployment of clean energy, energy efficiency and other climate-relevant investments across the District of Columbia.
● Lead development of financial products using market-proven models and methodologies that address gaps in financing availability and support the mission of DC Green Bank.
● In coordination with the CEO and legal counsel, develop and manage an active deal flow pipeline transaction origination (deal sourcing) and execution (deal closing); demonstrating a proven successful track record of initiating, managing, negotiating, and closing complex transactions with progress toward volume and scale.
● Formulate and recommend investment policies and strategies to effectively manage the DC Green Bank’s portfolio to moderate risk, deliver climate and social impacts and ensure financial sustainability.
● Develop and implement strategies for identifying and securing capital funding, including through collaboration with other green banks.
● Provide financial modeling expertise and evaluation and risk analysis of investment opportunities, including assuring that a thorough due diligence process is maintained for the review of both prospective and incumbent transactions.
● Develop strategies to market and increase utilization of DC Green Bank products.
● Lead DCGB’s performance management effort for assessing DC Green Bank products and projects.
● Develop and nurture relationships with financial partners, potential borrowers, and other stakeholders, including representing the DC Green Bank at events and outreach opportunities.
● Lead development and execution of requests for proposals (RFPs) for new project investments and/or other purposes consistent with the mission of the organization.
● Provide regular updates to the team, the CEO, and Board on product development and activities.
● Contribute relevant information and research content to the DC Green Bank website.
● Promote a culture of entrepreneurship, financial competency, equal access, and inclusive prosperity within the organization and to our customers, including assisting with developing and providing financial and investment training programs to staff.
The Ideal Candidate
The ideal candidate has experience in public and/or private investments and a background in sustainable and/or climate/energy financing and/or blended finance. You are an acute financial decision-maker with a proven successful track record of initiating, managing, negotiating, and closing complex transactions with demonstrated progress toward volume and scale. You also have a demonstrated ability to secure capital and source and close deals efficiently. You can creatively design and implement effective financial products and communicate these offerings clearly to the public. You are committed to engaging and partnering with a diverse set of stakeholders. You may already have connections or experience collaborating with the non-profit, financial, energy, affordable housing, sustainability, and public sectors. You are willing to take on additional responsibilities to fill in the needs of DC Green Bank. You are committed to inclusive prosperity, creating environments and programs, and providing resources to historically excluded groups.
You are committed to tackling climate change issues at a local level for global impact and you will strive to bring an entrepreneurial and creative spirit to DC Green Bank.
DC Green Bank is committed to reaching multiple constituents in the District. Candidates who are fluent or proficient in speaking multiple languages are desirable.
Ultimately, we are looking for the right person with the right set of skills to fill the position. There is no perfect candidate. Highlight the best parts of your experience that align with the job description as all positions at DC Green Bank are encouraged to learn and grow to make this the best place to work.
● Advanced degree, preferably an MBA. Dual degree in environmental sciences, engineering, energy, related fields a plus
● 8+ years prior experience in business development and financial services
● Demonstrated written and verbal communication skills
● Experience supervising staff
● Self-starter and capable of working under limited supervision
● Commitment to the mission of the DC Green Bank
· Status: Full-time
· Location: Washington, DC, hybrid remote / in office required; preference for DC residents or for those willing to relocate.
· $190k annual salary with potential for performance based incentives.
Interested applicants should submit (1) a detailed cover letter expressing their interest and fit for the position, and (2) a CV/resume clearly outlining experience, abilities, and qualifications satisfying the needs of the organization.
About DC Green Bank
DC Green Bank develops and facilitates innovative financial solutions to support District businesses, organizations, and residents on the path to a cleaner future for all. We invest in solar energy systems, energy-efficient buildings and retrofits, green stormwater infrastructure, and transportation electrification in line with our values of Sustainability, Clean Economy, and Inclusive Prosperity. To date, DC Green Bank has invested more than $6 million in a cleaner, greener, and more equitable future. To learn more, please visit us at dcgreenbank.com.