This in an extraordinary opportunity to come in at the ground floor of a fast growing, ultra-high impact CleanTech startup. We at Blue Frontier are racing to solve arguably the biggest sustainability problem in the world using disruptive technology and business models. Air conditioning is the fastest growing use of electricity in the US and globally. If present trends continue, by 2050 air conditioning electricity consumption will be bigger than the combined electricity consumption of China and India today!
Blue Frontier’s AC system combines dew-point-style sensible cooling with liquid desiccant dehumidification to reduce electricity use by up to 90%. The desiccant is recharged and stored when electricity is the cleanest or lowest cost, and later used to deliver cooling when electricity is dirty or costly. These features enable our system to solve an array of today’s largest sustainability problems — from the Duck Curve to peak load management, from humidity control to integration of intermittent renewable resources.
Working in the Manufacturing department and reporting directly to the VP of Manufacturing, the Manufacturing Process Engineer will be responsible for defining detailed production layouts, designing and implementing systems and equipment procedures, establishing production processes, testing and monitoring production equipment and assisting with oversight of assembly technicians work and output quality.
To the ideal candidate, this position is an opportunity to create products with the potential to literally change the world for the better. If you are creative, personable, highly responsible, passionate, intelligent, and driven, you should join us.
Roles and Responsibilities
Design and Implementation of Production Systems and Procedures
- Assist the VP of Manufacturing to design and implement production systems and procedures for assembly of the core components of Blue Frontier’s novel air conditioning systems.
- Create, maintain, and update visual standard work instructions, manufacturing routers or bill of operations in support of manufacturing processes.
- Design jigs, fixtures, and basic in-house tools for production using AutoCAD and/or SolidWorks.
- Create schematics, assembly drawings, data sheets to perform testing, build and trouble-shoot equipment.
- Evaluate and develop robotic applications to automate manual processes and support product flow across all manufacturing processes.
- Assist with the design and planning of equipment, workstations and manufacturing workflow/facility layouts.
- Identify and troubleshoot processes, material, or equipment issues to minimize down time and recommend solutions to Manufacturing and Product Development departments.
Process performance monitoring and improvement
- Develop continuous improvement strategies by translating business objectives into actionable tasks.
- Identify opportunities for productivity, efficiency and quality improvement, applying lean principles and other best practices as required.
- Conduct standard work practice to review takt time, processing time, standard work in process and establish standard work instructions.
- Identify opportunities to reduce labor & material cost while decreasing manufacturing lead-time.
- Monitor and measure process performance and quality through the production cycle.
- Prepare and present reports to the management team and stakeholders on projects status and potential issues. This may include data analysis, payback, financial analysis, capital equipment proposals, and decision justifications.
- Use project management tools to plan, manage and execute initiatives to meet plan.
- Establish and validate safe and efficient assembly procedures.
Skills and Capabilities
Education & Experience
- 4-6+ years relevant industry experience as a process engineer in manufacturing
- Experience in capacity analysis, capacity planning and product costing.
- Bachelors’ or Masters’ Degree in Mechanical, Materials, Aerospace or Manufacturing Engineering from a top 100 university.
- Experience in automation engineering and programming – PLC, robotics, CNC etc.
- Exposure to a Lean Environment or Lean tools: Jidoka, JIT, TPM, Value Stream Mapping, 6S, root cause problem solving, Kanban, Kaizen, etc.
- Experience tracking and completing cost reduction on process improvements.
- CAD drafting ability in Autodesk and/or SolidWorks
- Proven experience and success setting up and optimizing manufacturing lines
- Prior “shop floor” management experience, overseeing assembly technicians
- Lean manufacturing skills including DMAIC/DMADV, value stream maps, process maps etc.
- Lean Six Sigma qualifications – a “plus”
- Proven success or qualifications in Quality Assurance and Control
General Skills & Abilities
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work in a high pace environment
- Excellent leadership and interpersonal skills
- Ability to set and meet goals.
Compensation and Benefits
Highly competitive salary commensurate with the position and level of capabilities of the applicant.
Medical and dental insurance. Paid vacation and holidays.
Location and Travel