This in an extraordinary opportunity to come in at the ground floor of a fast growing, ultra-high impact CleanTech startup. We at Blue Frontier are racing to solve arguably the biggest sustainability problem in the world using disruptive technology and business models. Air conditioning is the fastest growing use of electricity in the US and globally. If present trends continue, by 2050 air conditioning electricity consumption will be bigger than the combined electricity consumption of China and India today!
Blue Frontier’s AC system combines dew-point-style sensible cooling with liquid desiccant dehumidification to reduce electricity use by up to 90%. The desiccant is recharged and stored when electricity is the cleanest or lowest cost, and later used to deliver cooling when electricity is dirty or costly. These features enable our system to solve an array of today’s largest sustainability problems — from the Duck Curve to peak load management, from humidity control to integration of intermittent renewable resources.
Reporting to the Workshop/Lab Manager, the Technician will be responsible for R&D and assembly tasks associated with developing and building prototype and pilot Blue Frontier HVAC units and associated subsystems. The Technician may also be involved with supporting testing, material handling and other organizational and administration tasks in the workshop. The Technician will join an existing team of experienced Technicians/Senior Technicians and will have many opportunities for learning and development.
To the ideal candidate, this position is an opportunity to create products with the potential to literally change the world for the better. If you are creative, personable, passionate, intelligent, driven and equipped with practical engineering and assembly skills, you should join us.
Roles and Responsibilities
HVAC Development Workshop/Lab Tasks
- Assembly of components, sub-assemblies and systems for Blue Frontier HVAC units, following written and verbal instructions
- Preparation of components and materials required for assembly
- Assist with general workshop/lab tasks including work station setup, parts receiving, inventory/stock management, cleaning/sorting and administration
- Assist with testing of Blue Frontier HVAC units when required
Skills & Capabilities
Education & Experience
- High School Diploma
- Vocational qualification or apprenticeship within a relevant business would be a plus, but is not required
- Experience installing and testing HVAC systems would be a plus, but is not required
Technical Skills and Qualities
- Demonstrable practical workshop skills – e.g. mechanical assembly in custom job shops, small-scale manufacturing, auto shop work or similar
- Skilled with hand tools including safe working practices
- Demonstrable ability to understand technical concepts related to mechanical assembly
- Ability to read/interpret engineering drawings and measurements
- Attention to detail and focused work ethic is essential
- Plumbing experience would be a plus, but is not required
- Electrical wiring skills/experience would be a plus, but is not required
Compensation and Benefits
Competitive salary commensurate with the position and level of capabilities of the applicant.
Medical and dental insurance. Paid vacation and holidays.
Location and Travel
This role will be based in our Boca Raton facility which is located close to Boca Raton Tri-Rail station. Depending on start date, initially some travel to our facility in West Palm Beach may be required prior to our re-location (expected by 1st September).