This in an extraordinary opportunity to come in at the ground floor of a fast growing, ultra-high impact CleanTech startup. We at Blue Frontier are racing to solve arguably the biggest sustainability problem in the world using disruptive technology and business models. Air conditioning is the fastest growing use of electricity in the US and globally. If present trends continue, by 2050 air conditioning electricity consumption will be bigger than the combined electricity consumption of China and India today!
Blue Frontier’s AC system combines dew-point-style sensible cooling with liquid desiccant dehumidification to reduce electricity use by up to 90%. The desiccant is recharged and stored when electricity is the cleanest or lowest cost, and later used to deliver cooling when electricity is dirty or costly. These features enable our system to solve an array of today’s largest sustainability problems — from the Duck Curve to peak load management, from humidity control to integration of intermittent renewable resources.
Working in the Product Development department and reporting to the VP of Product Development, the Mechanical & CFD Engineer will work to implement Engineering solutions, designs, and processes that will enhance the performance, manufacturability, cost, reliability, life, and quality of our systems. To the ideal candidate, this position is an opportunity to create products with the potential to literally change the world for the better. If you are creative, personable, highly responsible, passionate, intelligent, and driven, you should join us.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Develops detailed mechanical designs using SolidWorks
- Conducts engineering analysis including heat transfer, structural strength, materials compatibility, fluid dynamics, electrical power consumption, manufacturing methods, controls, etc., to arrive at designs that meet or exceed established expectations
- Supports the fabrication of prototype and pre-production systems or subsystems. This includes discussion with outside vendors, sourcing of components, and coordination with technicians and other engineers
Computational Fluid Dynamics
- Develop models and simulations of fluid flow and heat transfer utilizing Solidworks Flow
- Pursue design paths and/or develop algorithms to optimize important parameters for fluid flow and heat transfer that result in improved system performance Project Management
- Must be able to manage tasks and projects with significant amount of autonomy
- Must be an excellent verbal communicator and presenter.
Skills & Capabilities
Education & Experience
- 7+ years relevant industry experience, with emphasis in product development and analysis of highly engineered systems and hardware
- Experience developing complex computational fluid dynamic models is essential
- BS and MS in Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering from a top 100 university
- Experience with topology optimization applied to CFD simulations, including machine learning applications for topology optimization would be a “plus”
- Experience engineering for advanced air conditioning, thin-plate heat exchangers or other stacked-plate type devices such as fuel cells or batteries would be a “plus”
- CAD including SolidWorks
- CFD packages including SolidWorks Flow
- Excellent understanding of mechanical design concepts:
- Structural Strength
- Materials Selection
- Thermodynamics and Heat Transfer
- Testing, data analysis, and uncertainty quantification
- Other skills that are a plus: Statistical analysis, Python programming, system level modeling, Finite Element Modeling, Multiphysics Modeling, LabVIEW programming.
Compensation & Benefits
Highly competitive salary commensurate with the position and level of capabilities of the applicant
Medical and dental insurance. Paid vacation and holidays.
Location & Travel
This role will be based in our Boca Raton facility which is located close to Boca Raton Tri-Rail station.
We can only consider applicants who are US Citizens, Permanent Residents or visa holders with a current Employment Authorization Document (EAD) in hand. This role may be eligible for well-qualified F-1 OPT applicants who have completed their studies and have post-OPT EAD in hand, particularly if they can also demonstrate some prior industry experience.