This is a fantastic opportunity to make an impact at a fast growing CleanTech startup that recently raised $20M in Series A venture funding from Breakthrough Energy Ventures, 2150 and Volo Earth Ventures.
We at Blue Frontier are racing to solve arguably the biggest sustainability problem in the world using disruptive technology and business models. Air conditioning is the fastest growing use of electricity in the US and globally. If present trends continue, by 2050 air conditioning electricity consumption will be bigger than the combined electricity consumption of China and India today! You can help us bring to market a technology that delivers a revolutionary step-change improvement in efficiency and performance of air conditioning systems, whilst actively facilitating increased use of renewable energy on the grid, creating massive global decarbonization potential.
Reporting to Blue Frontier’s VP of Operations, the Financial Controller will be responsible for all aspects of financial management including corporate accounting, financial reporting, bookkeeping and assisting the CEO and VP of Operations with budgets, forecasts and financial models.
We are looking for a candidate who thrives in a fast-paced startup business environment and who is prepared to contribute across a wide range of business tasks essential for our success. Individuals who strive for constant improvement and with a vision for implementing scalable processes and platforms to facilitate rapid growth would be a great fit.
To the ideal candidate, this position is an opportunity to help bring new and highly impactful clean technology into the market at scale - and literally change the world for the better.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Maintain Blue Frontier, Inc. corporate accounts and manage bookkeeping (currently in Quickbooks Online) including maintaining Chart of Accounts, Billing, A/P, A/R, GL
- Complete monthly “financial close” processes including reconciliation, journal entries, trial balance checks and production of financial statements
- Initially the Controller is expected to carry out bookkeeping functions until volumes require dedicated bookkeeping resource. We then expect the Controller to manager bookkeeper and other administrative financial staff as we grow.
Reporting & Filings
- Prepare monthly or quarterly Management Accounts and Budget vs Actual reports
- Work with our external Accountants to prepare and file regulatory reports and tax filings for both federal and state jurisdictions
- With the support of our legal counsel, complete other state and federal regulatory filings such as Florida and Delaware Annual reports when required
Financial Strategy and Models
- Support the CEO and incoming CFO to develop the long-term financial strategy for the Company
- Support CEO, CFO and VP of Operations in the development, enhancement and updating of financial projections and models, including demonstrating the viability/attractiveness of our planned “hardware as a service” business model
- Support the CEO and VP of Operations in selecting debt finance products such as Asset/Equipment finance which will be advantageous to the company’s cashflow and runway
- Work with external accountants to conduct Tax Planning and develop and implement beneficial tax strategies
Compliance, Governance and Policies
- Research technical accounting issues for compliance and work with our external accountants to validate and promote best practice
- Work with the CEO and VP of Operations to implement best practice Controls, Policies and Procedures which deliver on the Company’s Governance objectives
- Work with the CEO and VP of Operations to evaluate and implement new IT platforms (including ERP) to streamline financial operations, reduce administrative overheads, facilitate scalability and drive best practice processes appropriate for rapidly-growing startup business
Other Administrative Duties
- Carry out other administrative duties as required, such as assisting with financial aspects of Procurement (Purchase Order administration)
- Monitor bank balances and recommend balance adjustments between accounts when required
- Manage credit records at credit agencies and complete supplier credit applications when required
- Manage Accounts Payable and set up supplier payments for VP or CEO approval
- As we grow, we will add administrative headcount to assist with many of these duties and expect the Financial Controller to become a team leader, ultimately reporting to a CFO (who may not be hired full-time until later in our growth cycle)
Skills and Capabilities
Education & Experience
- 7+ years of finance and accounting experience with at least 3-5 years as a Financial Controller or equivalent role
- Bachelors degree in Finance, Accounting or Economics from a top 100 university
- CPA, CFA, CMA or CFC Qualifications preferred
- Outstanding Accounting skills with a detailed knowledge of GAAP and IFRS standards
- Excellent communication and people skills
- The ability to think strategically about top-level business issues and also the patience, dedication and attention-to-detail to handle book-keeping and administrative tasks
- Excellent IT skills with experience of multiple booking and financial management software packages, including Quickbooks Online
- Proficient with MS Office including Word, Excel, Power Point, Sharepoint
- Strong Financial Modelling skills in Excel: a “plus”
Compensation and Benefits
Highly competitive salary commensurate with the position and level of capabilities of the applicant.
Medical and dental insurance. Paid vacation and holidays.
Location and Travel
This role will be located in South Florida at our brand new Palm Beach County (Boca Raton) Headquarters, near Boca Raton Tri-Rail station. This is an office-based role, although some flexibility for occasional home-working may be offered once the successful candidate is fully “up to speed” in the role.