Solar One is seeking to hire a full-time Director with environmental/clean energy campaign experience to shape the future of our Clean Energy Communities program.
About Solar One
Solar One is an environmental nonprofit working to expand access to clean energy in the NYC region. Our mission is to design and deliver innovative education, training, and technical assistance that fosters sustainability and resiliency in diverse urban environments. Our programs include K-12 environmental education, green workforce training, urban ecology, solar technical assistance, and community engagement through clean energy events and campaigns. The NYSERDA Clean Energy Communities Program (CECP) is a statewide initiative that advances clean energy at the local level in all regions of the State. Solar One is NYSERDA’s implementation partner for the program in New York City and Long Island.
The Director, Clean Energy Communities will be responsible for:
· Programmatic Initiatives
o Develop, launch and grow a Community Campaigns program using a partnership/capacity-building model that empowers affordable housing providers and community groups with resources and expertise to run successful clean energy campaigns (solar, electrification, and energy efficiency).
o Re-launch Solar One’s Clean Energy Connections event series to engage and educate New Yorkers about emerging trends and opportunities in clean energy.
o Identify new opportunities to increase our impact and grow the program.
o Participate in interdepartmental initiatives that strengthen/improve Solar One and advance the organization’s mission.
· Staff Supervision
o Directly supervise and mentor a full-time Community Campaigns Coordinator.
o Indirectly supervise and mentor two full-time staff members embedded within the Mayor’s Office of Climate & Environmental Justice (MOCEJ) and the Department of Citywide Administrative Services Division of Energy Management (DCAS DEM).
o Hire and supervise additional staff and interns as the program grows.
· Contract and Partner Management
o Manage a relationship with the NYSERDA CECP Project Manager and actively participate in the CECP Statewide network via weekly calls and working groups.
o Manage a relationship with Cameron Engineering, Solar One’s highly independent subcontractor that delivers the CECP program in Long Island.
o Develop and manage working relationships with MOCEJ and DCAS DEM managers to support impactful CECP service delivery and to support a positive work environment for Solar One’s agency-embedded staff.
o Compile and submit quarterly plans to NYSERDA for the Downstate Region.
o Complete monthly reporting and expense/budget management.
o Respond to requests from NYSERDA regarding program metrics.
· Bachelor’s Degree in a relevant field and at least 5 years of professional experience in community development, sustainability, or clean energy
· At least 2 years of experience managing full-time staff
· Experience designing/launching new community outreach programs/campaigns
· Experience managing relationships with government and community partners
· Experience managing contracts and budgets
· Strong leadership and organizational skills
· Strong communication skills including in-person, email, phone and video conferencing etiquette
· Excellent creative problem-solving ability
· Knowledge and appreciation of New York City’s many neighborhoods and diverse communities
Pay and Benefits
Starting annual salary range is $90,000-$95,000 per year, commensurate with experience.
Solar One’s full-time benefits include:
• A work environment where your contribution is essential and celebrated
• Professional development opportunities and budget
• Hybrid in-person/remote work schedule
• Health care and well-being programs including medical, dental, vision, EAP
• Life and disability insurance
• 4 weeks of paid time off, increasing with tenure
• Paid Holidays
• 401(k) retirement savings
Solar One is an equal opportunity employer. Solar One strives to increase diversity, equity, inclusion and justice in all elements of our work and with our partners to support the interdependent needs of renewable energy and resilience and people in a rapidly changing world. Solar One recruits and employs through a lens of equity and encourages people of all races, religion, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, citizenship, genetic information, service in the uniformed services, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state, or local law to apply.