Nonprofit Solar One is seeking an experienced solar energy or affordable housing professional to provide solar consultation and procurement assistance to affordable housing providers in and around New York City. Solar One's Here Comes Solar program employs creative strategies to expand access to the benefits of solar energy among communities of color and low- and moderate-income residents. Strategies include group purchasing campaigns; providing technical assistance to low-income cooperatives and affordable housing providers; securing financing for solar projects to overcome the upfront cost barrier; assisting with the implementation of the city’s Solar Where Feasible mandate; and helping building owners explore novel approaches such as solar canopies and community shared solar to increase their ability to benefit from solar energy.
As the Affordable Solar Program Manager, you will execute or coordinate a variety of activities including building owner engagement and consultation, preliminary solar design, solar site assessment, and contractor selection. You will manage relationships with partners such as the NYC Department of Housing Preservation and Development, the NYC Accelerator, affordable housing providers and community-based organizations. This is an opportunity to play a key role in making solar energy more affordable and accessible in New York City and beyond. As a core member of the Here Comes Solar team you will report to Solar One's Director of Affordable Housing and will help shape the organization's broader strategy and work with colleagues and senior leadership to ensure program success.
This is a hybrid position. Staff typically work in the Long Island City office twice a week and the remaining days are worked remotely.
- Educating affordable housing providers and low-income building owners about the benefits of solar energy
- Providing technical assistance to building owners including:
o Evaluating buildings' solar energy potential and preparing financial savings estimates.
o Consulting on incentive eligibility, financing options, and optimal solar system design.
o Managing the installer procurement process on behalf of program participants.
- Designing and implementing city-wide campaigns to develop solar for multifamily and affordable housing.
- Managing relationships with partner organizations.
- Working with government agencies to facilitate solar on affordable housing
- Tracking the progress of installations contracted through the program.
- Reporting on program performance and identifying opportunities and risks for the program as well as individual affordable solar projects.
- Working with the team to constantly improve the solar technical assistance we provide with the goal of making solar more accessible to disadvantaged communities.
The ideal candidate will have a strong knowledge of or interest in renewable energy and affordable housing. The candidate will have strong critical-thinking skills, project management experience, exhibit leadership, and be an effective communicator capable of managing relationships with colleagues and senior staff at partner organizations. The candidate will be a team player who values the success of individual projects as well as those of their peers and the organization as a whole.
- 3-4 years of relevant work experience
- Knowledge of solar technology and business models or interest/aptitude to gain such knowledge on the job
- Knowledge of multifamily real estate and affordable housing or interest/aptitude to gain such knowledge on the job
- Strong leadership and organizational skills
- Strong communication skills including in-person, email, phone and video conferencing etiquette
- Excellent creative problem-solving ability
- Advanced MS Office and computer skills, particularly Excel or other spreadsheet software
- Bachelor’s Degree, or an Associate’s Degree and at least 5 years of relevant experience
- Experience working for a solar energy company, affordable housing provider, or City/State government
- Fluent/conversational in more than one language commonly spoken in New York City
- Experience working with low-income communities
Salary and Benefits:
Starting annual salary range is $70,000 - $74,250, commensurate with experience.
Solar One’s full-time employment benefits include:
- A work environment where your contribution is essential and celebrated
- Training and career development
- Hybrid in-person/remote work schedule
- Health care and well-being programs including medical, dental, vision, EAP
- Life and disability insurance
- 4 weeks of paid time off, increasing with tenure
- Paid Holidays
- 401(k) retirement savings
Solar One is an equal opportunity employer. Solar One strives to increase diversity, equity, inclusion and justice in all elements of our work and with our partners to support the interdependent needs of renewable energy and resilience and people in a rapidly changing world. Solar One recruits and employs through a lens of equity and encourages people of all races, religion, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, citizenship, genetic information, service in the uniformed services, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state, or local law to apply