Job Title: Environmental STEM Educator
Type: In-person, full-time (temporary)
Duration: June 20-August 12, 2022
Are you passionate about training the next generation to be climate justice and sustainability leaders? If so, join our team, Solar One is seeking Environmental STEM educators this summer.
About Solar One
Solar One is a 501c(3) organization that empowers communities in the New York City metro area to thrive in the face of the challenges brought on by climate change, and to embrace a world that is low carbon, resource efficient, just and inclusive.
Originally founded in 2004 to manage Stuyvesant Cove Park, a two-acre native plant park and a small environmental education center, Solar One has grown into an award-winning organization with a thriving array of programs. Solar One's mission is to design and deliver innovative education, training, and technical assistance that fosters sustainability and resiliency in diverse urban environments.
We are seeking a dynamic individual passionate about sustainable and inclusive community development, driven to use their talents to advance real change through K-12 Education.
The Environmental STEM educator will be responsible for facilitating Solar One’s environmental STEM summer youth employment program (SYEP). The Educator will work on-site at a NYC DOE school Mon-Thurs with high school youth who are participating in a paid program that utilizes Solar One’s project based learning curriculum to explore sustainability initiatives in NYC and green career pathways. Participants will work collaboratively on service-learning projects and take field trips across NYC to see climate solutions in action. Activities are based on Solar One’s project-based learning curriculum which explores environmental justice, the climate crisis, energy efficiency, renewable energy, and sustainable food & water systems.
· Delivering 6 week summer program for HS students, Mon- Thurs. Program start and end times will vary with each school site, but is expected to be 9am-2pm or 8:30am-1:30pm.
· Participating in 2 week training and onboarding ng in late June. Curriculum will be provided but instructors are welcome to modify lessons.
· Tracking attendance in collaboration with partner teacher.
· Fridays will be mostly virtual and will consist of debriefing program with other Solar One Educators, planning and prepping upcoming week.
Qualifications and Skills:
Successful candidates for this role should be able to demonstrate the following:
· Bachelor’s Degree
· Experience teaching and/or facilitating high school programs with youth
· Content knowledge of environmental sustainability and climate science
· Google suite
· Basic Microsoft office
· Power Point
· Excellent communication skills
· Time management
· Attention to detail & organization
· Adaptability & creativity
· Interest in STEM
· Passion about sustainability and climate justice
· Familiarity with NYC communities and neighborhoods is a plus
Learn more about Solar One’s Green Design Lab program here: https://thegreendesignlab.org/
and on our Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/solaronegreendesignlab/?hl=en
Please send 1 page cover letter and resume to: email@example.com
Pay and Benefits
· Paying at $25 per hour
Solar One is an equal opportunity employer and we encourage anyone who has a passion for the work and meets the criteria above to apply.