Non-profit Solar One seeks a driven Community Solar Associate for Here Comes Solar, its solar technical assistance program that expands access to the benefits of solar to low-income renters, multifamily cooperatives, and affordable housing in New York. We make solar more accessible and affordable by: providing technical assistance to affordable housing and community organizations so they can develop cost-effective solar projects; organizing buildings into solar purchasing groups; securing zero-down financing for solar projects; and assisting renters to enroll in local community solar projects. To date, Here Comes Solar has facilitated more than 750 successful solar installations and connected even more New Yorkers to community solar. We are growing our team to increase our impact in 2022 and beyond!
Community Solar Associate Overview
Solar One is developing community solar projects, large solar projects that serve hundreds of renters throughout New York City by providing utility bill savings, in close partnership with affordable housing providers, environmental justice organizations, and solar developers. Solar One also provides customer enrollment services to community solar developers and partners. The Community Solar Associate will be an integral member of Solar One’s Community Solar team. The Associate will support the customer enrollment process for community solar projects in New York City in English and Spanish. The Associate will assist customers to complete the enrollment process, including qualification, consultation and contract signing. The Associate will field incoming emails and calls about Solar One’s community solar programs; assist with monthly reporting; and conduct short public-facing workshops about the enrollment process. In addition, the Associate will support the Community Solar Program Manager with partner outreach, partner meetings, and various tasks related to project development. This position is currently remote, with the possibility of reporting to an office located in Long Island City in Spring 2022. Some evening or weekend work will be required.
● Support the customer enrollment process for community solar projects offered by Solar One by clearly and comfortably describing the project(s) and enrollment process to interested households
● Field incoming emails and calls from households that are considering signing up for community solar projects
● Guide potential customers through the sign-up process, including requesting utility bills, reviewing a contract, and answering questions
● Hold consultation calls with interested households to review the enrollment project
● Follow up with individuals that have not yet completed their enrollment through email, phone, or text
● Report on the status of the enrollment pipeline to your manager
● Manage relationships with external enrollment partners
● Develop, edit, and create marketing materials for outreach campaigns
● Provide ad hoc support for the Community Solar program, including research, analysis, reporting, and preparing presentations or outreach materials
Qualifications and Skills
Successful candidates for this role should be able to demonstrate the following:
· Fluent in Spanish and English
- Computer proficiency, including Microsoft Office, and internet research
· Written and verbal communication
· Time management
· Attention to detail
· Critical thinking/problem solving
Experience and Subject Area Expertise
· Previous experience in a customer support role responding to customer inquiries
· Ability to clearly communicate complex technical concepts to a diverse audience
· Knowledgeable of and/or passion for renewable energy, environmental justice, and affordable housing
Pay and Benefits
Position Type: Full-time (35 hours)
Starting Annual Salary: $50,000-55,000
Solar One’s full-time employment benefits include:
· Health care and well-being programs including medical, dental, vision, EAP
· 3 weeks of paid time off that increases with tenure
· Life and disability insurance
· Paid Holidays
· 401(k) retirement savings
Proof of Covid-19 vaccination is required for this position.
Solar One is an equal opportunity employer. Solar One strives to increase diversity, equity, inclusion and justice in all elements of our work and with our partners to support the interdependent needs of renewable energy and resilience and people in a rapidly changing world. Solar One recruits and employs through a lens of equity and encourages people of all races, religion, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, citizenship, genetic information, service in the uniformed services, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state, or local law to apply.
At Solar One, we understand lived experience as part of building a knowledge set on an issue, such as living in a frontline community to climate change. High school as furthest education, first generation Americans and folks with continued education experience encouraged to apply.