ABOUT ROLAND FOODS
Roland Foods, LLC, based in New York City, is an importer and distributor of high-quality specialty food products from more than 60 countries. Founded in Paris in 1934 and established in the U.S. in 1939, the Company provides customers with exceptional specialty foods, primarily offered under the Roland brand. The company has a national presence in the foodservice, retail, and industrial channels as well as international sales in the Caribbean, Central and South America, Asia, Africa, and the Middle East. Roland Foods’ dedication to providing quality and consistency has made it a leader among food importers and suppliers. The Roland brand is synonymous with quality and authenticity for the consumer and chef alike.
ABOUT THE ROLE
The Roland Foods in-house Creative team is looking for an entry-to-mid-level Brand Graphic Designer with food packaging design experience to join our office in New York! Since 2021, we have implemented new branding on packaging designs and in 2023 the team’s focus will be on redesigning catalogs, trade show booths, swag as well as other marketing materials while continuing to work on rebranding the rest of the product portfolio. The Creative team is a team of curious, passionate, and dedicated people who will strive for the ideal solutions with creative problem-solving and collaboration. If you like food and design, are willing to learn about specialty foods, and aren’t afraid to taste a wide array of foods, join us!
The Designer’s primary focus will be on creating and designing a variety of brand collateral and assets --- from brainstorming, designing, printer/supplier communication, and sometimes ensuring that materials are stocked on our 3rd party fulfillment center. When working on packaging design, the designer will at times need to correspond with suppliers to ensure the packaging will be printed correctly. This is a very hands-on job; the Designer will need to be responsible from the beginning to the end of each project and will be involved in all aspects of the rebranding.
The ideal candidate should be a highly creative, proactive, and detail-oriented designer who is comfortable juggling multiple projects. He/she/they will collaborate cross-functionally with multiple internal teams and Roland Foods’ global suppliers to bring projects to realization. The Designer will develop a comprehensive understanding of Roland Foods’ brand position, specialty foods, and sales channel strategies to ensure all output aligns with those objectives.
All candidates must submit a strong portfolio of completed packaging and graphic design projects or layout designs.
As a response to the pandemic, Roland Foods office employees have transitioned to a hybrid working schedule, requiring employees to report in-person Tuesday through Thursday, with the option to telework on Monday and Friday each week. Due to the collaborative, cross-functional nature of the organization, employees at the NY and NJ offices are required to work in person for the abovementioned days, outside of any People & Culture-approved disability accommodation request.
- Design various types of marketing collaterals and assets such as sell sheets, banners, infographics, brochures, catalogs, event booth graphics, swag, animated gifs, videos, etc.
- Present and provide a business rationale for creative ideas to our internal stakeholders for approval and development
- Be responsible throughout the project life-cycle --- from ideation to ensuring assets are accessible to stakeholders
- Generate original packaging design concepts that are eye-catching on-shelf, appropriate for the product
- Ensure item-level design and execute consistency across multiple suppliers as needed
- Develop familiarity with FDA labeling requirements and information details (product nutritional, ingredients, etc.) and ensure label compliance with those requirements
- Ensure all project statuses, files and correspondences are documented and filed in an organized manner, following established guidelines
- Build clean and organized design files according to established guidelines
- Review and comment on the team’s projects submissions in a timely manner
- Internal: Collaborate with cross-functional teams: Sales, Marketing, Innovation, Supply Chain, FSQA, Legal
- External: Work with freelancers, photographers, illustrators, designers, post-production houses, and third-party vendors
- External: Correspond with Roland Foods’ global suppliers clearly, respectfully, and in a timely manner to bring packaging files to realization
- Create product photography/retouching and create digital & physical mock-ups as needed
- Provide support to the Sales & Strategy team when product images are needed
- Stay up to date with design industry developments and tools
- Garner a comprehensive understanding of the Roland Foods brand strategies and product portfolio
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
- Package design BFA or 2-3 years of experience in package design
- Expertise in Mac, Photoshop, lllustrator, InDesign, Acrobat -shortcuts and efficient workflow a must
- Well-versed in Excel, Word, and PowerPoint
- Outstanding attention to visual details (consistency in font & color, alignment, etc.)
- Strong project management and organizational skills
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Comprehensive understanding of the Roland Foods brand strategies and product portfolio
- Experience in the Food & Beverage or CPG projects
- Knowledgeable in AfterEffect is a plus
- Strong digital & physical mock-up, product photography, and photo-retouching skills are a plus
- Comfortable working both autonomously and collaboratively
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced and fluid environment and eager to take on new challenges
- Friendly, respectful, and supportive
- Foodie with a good Spotify playlist a plus
This is not a remote position! The candidate must be able to work in our New York office Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday.
Roland Foods hires exceptional people to perform a wide variety of important functions that contribute to the success of the Company. One of the ways Roland Foods does that is through a competitive compensation package. The base salary for this role will be $50,000 - $75,000.
Based on your qualifications, previous experience, and transferrable skills, the Company will determine at its sole discretion, the salary offered.
Founded by immigrants, Roland Foods knows that diversity is the spice of life. We believe in the power of food to open minds, spark adventure, and bring diverse people together. All are welcome at our table! We know the transformative value of food in individual lives and communities. Because of this, we insist on obtaining the highest-quality ingredients and talent!
Roland Foods is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate in hiring or any employment decision based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or other applicable legally protected characteristic. Roland Foods considers qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Roland Foods is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.