Adela is focused on the detection of cancer and other high-morbidity, high-mortality conditions through a blood test. The Company’s genome-wide methylation analysis technology has the unique ability to distinguish the most-highly informative (methylated) regions of the genome from the non-informative regions and preferentially target those informative regions for sequencing. The technology is initially being developed for use across the cancer continuum for detection, diagnosis, and management, and in the future will be applied to other conditions beyond cancer.
Adela is seeking a motivated Laboratory Technologist III for a full-time position to join our New Haven, CT Laboratory team. The Clinical Laboratory Technologist III is responsible for all aspects of clinical laboratory operations, including testing, quality, inventory, and equipment maintenance. Our laboratory employs high throughput automation platforms, in combination with manual methods and techniques, to generate clinical results and provide medical information to our patients and clients. The broad range of techniques and technologies requires a high level of technical competence. This is an exciting opportunity to be part of growing, dynamic, and collaborative biotechnology company leveraging cutting-edge liquid biopsy methodologies.
Position Responsibilities and Essential Duties
- Performs high complexity molecular testing of clinical samples from various biological sources under minimum supervision.
- Accomplishes high quality extraction, quantification, and preanalytical processing of clinical samples while maintaining specimen integrity and proper chain of custody.
- Prepares next-generation sequencing (NGS) libraries in a high throughput clinical production laboratory employing state of the art liquid handling and automation systems.
- Participates in stability studies, validation protocols, process improvement, and reagent verification activities.
- Adheres to strict protocols and best practices required for clinical testing following FDA, CAP, CLIA, and NYSDOH regulations while accurately maintaining all required records and documentation to ensure inspection readiness.
- Maintains laboratory supplies and consumables at levels sufficient to meet productivity goals.
- Performs preventive and advanced maintenance on laboratory equipment according to established laboratory protocols.
- Troubleshoots equipment and instrument malfunctions and communicates with service representatives when necessary to correct instrumental malfunctions.
- Assists in gathering data to monitor quality improvement standards and prepare reports.
- Provides technical support to other junior technologists with respect to assay principle, laboratory instruments, and data analysis.
- Participates in laboratory proficiency testing.
- Ensures that quality controls procedures are followed prior to releasing clinical data. Documents quality control data according to laboratory policies and procedures.
- Performs duties promptly, accurately, efficiently and precisely with no wasted effort. Focuses on conservation of resources.
- Identifies problems that adversely affect test performance and data quality and resolves them in accordance with established laboratory policies and procedures.
- Performs and documents laboratory equipment maintenance according to good documentation practices.
- Performs and documents semi-annual equipment performance verifications and correlations.
- Schedules annual preventive maintenance of equipment.
- Familiarity with and advanced understanding of automated liquid handling, qPCR, next generation sequencing, NGS library construction.
- Familiarity with and advanced understanding of NGS and other molecular data analysis and interpretation techniques using LIMS, Excel, and other data management tools is also highly desirable for candidates that can demonstrate proficiency.
- Strong problem-solving, communication, and technical skills.
- Must be a motivated team player willing to work in a fast-paced healthcare environment.
- Must qualify for or possess a NY State Technologist License.
- ASCP MB certification is strongly preferred.
- Able to work some evenings, weekends and holidays as required.
- Excellent time-management skills and demonstrates the ability to multi-task.
- Exceptional organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Knowledge of the principles, practices and techniques of advanced clinical laboratory techniques.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Biology, Cell or Molecular Biology or Biochemistry. Advanced Degree is a plus.
- Minimum of 5+ years previous clinical laboratory work experience, or the relevant combination of advanced degree and experience, is required to fulfill regulatory requirements.
- Experience working in a high throughput commercial lab or clinical laboratory setting will be given preference.