Adela is focused on the detection of cancer and other high-morbidity, high-mortality conditions through a blood test. The Company’s genome-wide methylation analysis technology has the unique ability to distinguish the most highly informative (methylated) regions of the genome from the non-informative regions and preferentially target those informative regions for sequencing. The technology is initially being developed for use across the cancer continuum for detection, diagnosis, and management, and in the future, it will be applied to other conditions beyond cancer.
We are seeking a highly motivated individual to join our team as a Laboratory Technologist II at our Connecticut facility. The Laboratory Technologist II is responsible for executing molecular biology assays and experiments supporting the clinical workflow in our Connecticut laboratory. This individual must be highly skilled in performing laboratory procedures in a fast-paced enviornment. This is an exciting opportunity to be part of a growing, dynamic, and collaborative biotech company leveraging cutting-edge liquid biopsy technology to improve human health and well-being.
Position Responsibilities and Essential Duties
- Independently performs nucleic acid extraction, nucleic acid quantification, PCR amplification, and library preparation for next-generation sequencing of clinical specimens.
- Participates in stability studies, validation protocols, process improvement, and reagent verification activities.
- Performs laboratory work in compliance CLIA, CAP, State, and Federal regulations.
- Ensures sufficient supply of reagents, consumables and other materials essential for executing experiments and assays.
- Assists with preventative maintenance, calibration, and temperature/humidity logs to ensure compliance.
- Ensures laboratory areas are clean and well-organized
- Identifies any problem that may adversely affect assay performance and outcome, correct the problem and immediately notifies the laboratory management of the problem and the solution implemented.
- Strictly adheres to safety protocols, wearing of PPE, and laboratory best practices.
- Maintains documentation and records in an accurate, timely and thorough manner
- Discusses results with the supervisor. Identifies potential issues with results.
- Assists with authoring SOPs, non-conformities, and similar documents
- Performs other duties as required.
- Demonstrated proficiency in the isolation and quantification of nucleic acid from biological samples
- Able to interpret data from analytical equipment
- Problem identification and troubleshooting
- Strong attention to detail
- Excellent prioritization and time-management
- Effective communicator, both written and verbal.
- Proficiency with computer programs (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), Document Control Systems, and LIS/LIMS.
- Ability to work effectively as member of a team in a fast-paced environment
- Working Environment/Physical Demands
- Standing or sitting for long periods may be necessary
- Safe handling hazardous materials, blood specimens and instruments with moving parts, heating or freezing elements, and operation of high-speed centrifuges
- Repetitive manual pipetting may be necessary
- Some lifting (up to 50 pounds) may be necessary
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Molecular Biology, Genetics, Chemistry or related scientific field with 3+ years’ relevant laboratory experience
- Next-generation sequencing experience preferred.
- Preference to those with experience with large scale liquid handlers in a high throughput, commercial environment
- ASCP MB certification is strongly preferred.