Unfinished is an enterprise working to strengthen our civic life in the digital age. Founded to take action to restore our deteriorating social fabric, Unfinished focuses on three challenges: redirect technology, especially social media, to fuel collaboration over division; renew and strengthen civic institutions to accelerate inclusive problem-solving; and grow a more fair economy.
As an enterprise that integrates social impact with financial results, Unfinished’s portfolio includes a technology lab, a media initiative, an applied research institute, and an entrepreneurial network of innovators working to advance our economy, democracy and technology.
We build technology to drive new models that unite social impact with economic sustainability. Machines and code alone do not give us answers. Technology can nurture or fracture. Divide or unite. To create new models that better serve society, our code must reflect an understanding of how we, people, build relationships, collaborate, and transact. This is why we work to integrate public policy, social science, and social impact communities into technology development, at its genesis. New models begin by questioning everything. Together, we challenge status quo, from funding models to who must be involved in the most early stages of development. Even the decision about what work we take on is in response to the discomforting and urgent questions of our time.
As we are in the early stages, we are looking to hire several self-motivated, talented individuals to help drive and execute on our mission. You should be purposeful, quality-driven, curious, determined, collaborative and fun.
You are an innovative and self-directed marketing leader with a deep understanding of the potential in Web 3.0 and blockchain technology. You have an appreciation for the interrelationships of policy, business, culture, and technology and their impact on society. You’re looking for an opportunity to apply your skills and technology marketing experience to bold, new models that can support higher and healthier standards for society. You have a reputation for bringing clarity to complexity, building both awareness and understanding of new markets and initiatives, and experience building developer communities. A natural collaborator, you can operate well within a networked business, exerting influence when necessary while building strong relationships throughout. You have intellectual curiosity, are a learner and are adept at managing both strategy and execution. You are well known for your diligence, hard work, creativity and openness to new ideas and approaches.
About the role
The Director of Marketing will be responsible for raising awareness and understanding of a new decentralized model for the social graph and the world it can enable, as well as inspiring developers to learn, explore, and eventually build themselves. This is one of the most exciting opportunities in the space for someone who aspires to make a difference.
This individual will partner with technology business leaders to understand the product and build the experiences and resources necessary to engage developer and social impact communities, breaking through a cluttered technology landscape and establishing the vision, protocol, and tools with resonant and differentiated messaging.
While our offices are currently closed due to the pandemic, this role will ultimately be based in the Los Angeles or New York City office; however, there may be flexibility to be based remotely in the San Francisco Bay Area. The Director of Marketing will report to the Chief Advocacy and Engagement Officer.
- Develop and implement a marketing strategy that inspires and engages developers and other members of our community.
- Create campaigns and raise awareness of our technology and what it makes possible.
- Uncover new approaches to engaging with and educating our communities.
- Develop and evolve messaging and brand strategy.
- Interface with the technology team to advance the tools and resources that support our developer communities.
- Collaborate with the broader Unfinished team, providing updates on progress and outcomes, and assisting in the overall success of Unfinished.
- Demonstrated experience building the marketing function in an early-stage technology company, and skills that bridge across the marketing function—a marketing “jack of all trades”.
- A track record for building developer communities and developing brand advocates.
- Strong acumen with not only developing and communicating strategy, but “rolling up your sleeves” to execute at a tactical level.
- A grounding in analytical and evidence-based growth strategies.
- Experience managing complex brand challenges.
- Experience managing a team of internal and external resources to run campaigns, build brands, and launch products.
- Strong collaboration and communication skills.
- While this is not a product marketing role, the mindset, experience and acumen developed from selling a product would be valuable.
- Outstanding interpersonal and communication skills; can interact positively within the organization and also represent Unfinished externally.
- Unquestionable integrity; holds to personal and organization values with conviction. Deep appreciation for the role of technology in our society.
- A bachelor’s degree and possibly an advanced degree in business, marketing or another relevant discipline.
- Innovative, proactive, and highly adaptable to a rapidly-evolving entrepreneurial environment
- Operate from the perspective of no job too big or too small
- Perseverance to push through obstacles swiftly and execute across a broad range of responsibilities, while keeping an eye to the bigger picture
- Ability to navigate ambiguity and approach challenges with an entrepreneurial growth mindset
- High emotional intelligence, a low-ego and collaborate well with people from different cultures and points of view
- Inquisitive by nature and interested in working closely with the technology team to understand blockchain and other cutting edge technologies
- Ability to work independently
- We strive to always take the high road
- We take the long view
- We are builders
- We believe in the power of collective genius above lone heroes
- We value the possibilities opened through questions
- We are us
More About Us
At Unfinished we aspire to move the traditional paradigm for solving problems from a top-down, disconnected approach to a more democratized, stakeholder-driven model. Our network convenes a community of diverse innovators from the worlds of impact, academia (such as Georgetown University), arts and culture (such as The Shed), nonprofits (such as the Ford Foundation and Aspen Institute), and the private sector to ensure diverse and thoughtful voices are connected to solve problems.
We want to put people at the decision-making table who are most impacted by the problems we are solving. We are doing this in several ways, including convening a group of impact organizations for collective action and movement building, and supporting the renewal of existing civic institutions—and the creation of new ones—to accelerate more inclusive problem-solving. We believe that by redirecting technology to work for the common good, we can leverage it as an essential tool to scale positive change. We work to build concrete tools and models to advance ethical models for information technology.
One of our first efforts will be to change the way technology is built--and our first focus is to change the model that drives social networks. Social networks inform how we experience almost everything. We can't strengthen civic institutions, foster a more sustainable democracy, or create a more fair economy if we don't first change the model that drives social networks. We see social networks as a public good that should be owned by everyone and a key lever for strengthening our civic architecture. We are working to decentralize social networks, shift control of data and networks from private companies to citizens, lay the foundation for a new world which generates economic value for people rather than extracting economic value from users. This moves social networks from closed, proprietary spaces to open, publicly owned infrastructure on which anyone can build. This more ethical model offers the opportunity for change at scale across all dimensions of society.
We believe having diversity of perspective, professional backgrounds, identity groups and lived experience is a strength for teams and we actively encourage candidates of all backgrounds to apply. Unfinished is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, genetics, disability, age, and familial, caregiver, or veteran status.