Unfinished is an enterprise working to strengthen our civic life in the digital age. Founded to take action to restore our deteriorating social fabric, Unfinished focuses on three challenges: redirect technology, especially social media, to fuel collaboration over division; renew and strengthen civic institutions to accelerate inclusive problem-solving; and grow a more fair economy. As an enterprise that integrates social impact with financial results, Unfinished’s portfolio includes a technology lab, a media initiative, an applied research institute, and an entrepreneurial network of innovators working to advance our economy, democracy and technology.
We seek an analytical Strategic Initiatives Analyst, who has a commercial mind, a project management skillset and the entrepreneurial spirit to support the growth of Unfinished Media.
About the role
Reporting to the Chief Growth Officer, the Strategic Initiatives Analyst will provide broad support to priority initiatives across the media practice. This is both a research and operational role to ensure the appropriate analysis, presentation, and execution of plans takes place. The key projects include supporting the development and ongoing refinement of commercialization (revenue) strategy; identifying, initiating, and supporting growth strategy initiatives, which can include operationalizing the plans and some ongoing project management. This role will require close collaboration with Unfinished’s internal stakeholders, predominantly on the Network and Media team, as well as third party partners to achieve Unfinished’ s ambitious goals for the year.
While our offices are currently closed due to the pandemic, this role will ultimately be based in our New York office.
- Provide research insights and rationale, including financial and operational data when applicable, for various business decisions across the media practice
- Distill complex media, advertising and technology concepts into concise internal communications
- Manage project and business updates for senior leadership and strategic partners
- Partner with cross-functional groups to ensure planning efforts are consistent with company goals
- Deep understanding of media revenue models and ability to analyze/develop new ones
- Prior experience in digital media and/or technology with a strong understanding of advertising/sales and M&A
- Track record of successful execution on cross-functional projects
- Strong relationship skills to drive both internal and external projects to completion
- Strong presentation skills, ability to present complex business ideas clearly and succinctly
- Experience in a consulting or financial services with close proximity to senior executives preferred
- Bachelors degree with MBA or advanced degree preferred
- Innovative, proactive, and highly adaptable to a rapidly-evolving entrepreneurial environment.
- Operate from the perspective of no job too big or too small
- Perseverance to push through obstacles swiftly and execute across a broad range of responsibilities, while keeping an eye to the bigger picture
- Ability to navigate ambiguity and approach challenges with an entrepreneurial growth mindset
- High emotional intelligence, a low-ego and collaborate well with people from different cultures and points of view
- Ability to work independently
- We strive to always take the high road
- We take the long view
- We are builders
- We believe in the power of collective genius above lone heroes
- We value the possibilities opened through questions
- We are us
More About Us
At Unfinished we aspire to move the traditional paradigm for solving problems from a top-down, disconnected approach to a more democratized, stakeholder-driven model. Our network convenes a community of diverse innovators from the worlds of impact, academia (such as Georgetown University), arts and culture (such as The Shed), nonprofits (such as the Ford Foundation and Aspen Institute), and the private sector to ensure diverse and thoughtful voices are connected to solve problems.
We want to put people at the decision-making table who are most impacted by the problems we are solving. We are doing this in several ways, including convening a group of impact organizations for collective action and movement building, and supporting the renewal of existing civic institutions—and the creation of new ones—to accelerate more inclusive problem-solving. We believe that by redirecting technology to work for the common good, we can leverage it as an essential tool to scale positive change. We work to build concrete tools and models to advance ethical models for information technology.
One of our first efforts will be to change the way technology is built--and our first focus is to change the model that drives social networks. Social networks inform how we experience almost everything. We can't strengthen civic institutions, foster a more sustainable democracy, or create a fairer economy if we don't first change the model that drives social networks. We see social networks as a public good that should be owned by everyone and a key lever for strengthening our civic architecture. We are working to decentralize social networks, shift control of data and networks from private companies to citizens, lay the foundation for a new world which generates economic value for people rather than extracting economic value from users. This moves social networks from closed, proprietary spaces to open, publicly owned infrastructure on which anyone can build. This more ethical model offers the opportunity for change at scale across all dimensions of society.
We believe having diversity of perspective, professional backgrounds, identity groups and lived experience is a strength for teams and we actively encourage candidates of all backgrounds to apply. Unfinished is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, genetics, disability, age, and familial, caregiver, or veteran status.