At Unfinished we aspire to move the traditional paradigm for solving problems from a top-down, disconnected approach to a more democratized, stakeholder-driven model. Our network convenes a community of diverse innovators from the worlds of impact, academia (such as Georgetown University), arts and culture (such as The Shed), nonprofits (such as the Ford Foundation and Aspen Institute), and the private sector to ensure diverse and thoughtful voices are connected to solve problems.
One of our first missions will be to change the way technology is built--and our first focus is to change the model that drives social media. We believe we can't strengthen civic institutions, foster a more sustainable democracy, or create a fairer economy if we don't first change the extractive model that drives social media today. We are working to build a new model for a transparent, open social network that serves the common good as publicly owned infrastructure. This more ethical model offers the opportunity for change at scale across all dimensions of society. You can read more about this project here.
About the role
The Social Producer will be an integral part of the Unfinished Media team, focusing on developing and executing original content projects that will build an active community through awareness and understanding that contributes to the greater good.
Working with a broader editorial team, you will contribute to the brand, tone of voice, and point of view by producing impact-oriented and thought-provoking content. This role will require close collaboration with editorial leadership to translate an ambitious, long-term vision for Unfinished Media.
backgrounds could serve you well in this role, ideally having a combination of
written, audio, and visual content creation experience. The ideal
candidate will be organized, resourceful, and flexible, with a proven track
record of crafting and executing campaign communications strategies, excellent
writing skills, and a top-notch understanding of the news cycle and media
While our offices are currently closed due to the pandemic, this role will ultimately be based in our New York City office. This role will initially report to the Chief Growth Officer.
- Concepting, pitching, producing, and editing original, factually accurate written content.
- Helping shape overall coverage and network narrative through tone of voice and adapting it as appropriate for each channel.
- Researching, conducting interviews with partners, and story subjects.
- Pitching stories based on intuition and feedback from insights/analytics team.
- Collaborating with Unfinished Network Partners to source compelling content and design and launch new initiatives and artistic commissions.
- Collaborating with the broader Unfinished team, providing updates on progress and outcomes, and assisting in the overall success of Unfinished.
Ideal candidates will have:
- 5+ years of overall professional experience mostly in reporting and writing based roles.
- A track record of developing stories that draw on
- Proven track record of executing high-quality communications work in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to multi-task and manage several projects at once under tight deadlines and with rapid changes.
You start with your audience in mind and tap into the vernacular and medium that meets people where they are. You get a real sense of satisfaction from producing high-quality, polished work. You pay attention to the details without losing sight of the bigger picture. You have excellent oral and written communication skills, crafting high-quality written content, straightforwardly explaining complex concepts, combining intellect and intuition.
You recognize that a well-prepared and supported community can achieve far more than a single, highly talented individual. From an impact perspective, you believe that we are living in a world of abundant resources and that the right team of partners can make improbable things happen, and you have experience working with diverse teams and successfully navigating cross-cultural communication in both local and global contexts. You deeply value creating a workplace that is supportive of difference and you bring relentless curiosity and creativity to every task, project, and engagement.
- Innovative, proactive, and highly adaptable to a rapidly-evolving entrepreneurial environment.
- Operate from the perspective of no job too big or too small
- Perseverance to push through obstacles swiftly and execute across a broad range of responsibilities, while keeping an eye to the bigger picture
- Ability to navigate ambiguity and approach challenges with an entrepreneurial growth mindset
- Have high emotional intelligence, a low-ego and collaborate well with people from different cultures and points of view
- Inquisitive by nature and interested in working closely with the technology team to understand blockchain and other cutting edge technologies
- Ability to work independently
The Application Process
Unfinished has engaged Equitable Hiring Group to help in this hire. To apply, please complete the short form to the right. Individuals who apply by Tuesday, March 2nd, will be given priority; therefore, we encourage you to submit yours soon!
When you apply, we kindly ask you to remove your universities from your resume. There is no need to reformat your resume, and you may leave your degree (e.g., "B.A. Economics"). Just remember to remove any undergraduate and graduate school name references where possible. This "bias blind" process aims to open this opportunity to more candidates, reviewing applicants on performance assessments instead of resume proxies (e.g., where you went to school).
This evaluation process will follow best
practices shown to reduce bias in decision making and may be different from
other application processes you have experienced.
The overall evaluation process will look to follow this anticipated timeline:
- Mid-February: Selected candidates asked to complete short answer questions
- Late February: Phone-screen interview with Equitable Hiring Group
- Early March: Zoom interview with the Unfinished team.
- Mid-March: Finalist candidates will be asked to complete a timed trial assignment
- Late March: Finalists will participate in a multi-team member group interview day via video conference. (*due to COVID-19, we will be conducting all interviews remotely for the near future)
- Candidate references will also be checked at this step.
- Mid/late April: Anticipated start date
If you have any questions about the opportunity, please feel free to email firstname.lastname@example.org.
We believe having diversity of perspective, professional backgrounds, identity groups and lived experience is a strength for teams and we actively encourage candidates of all backgrounds to apply. Unfinished is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, genetics, disability, age, and familial, caregiver, or veteran status.