Unfinished is an enterprise working to strengthen our civic life in the digital age. Founded to take action to restore our deteriorating social fabric, Unfinished focuses on three challenges: redirect technology, especially social media, to fuel collaboration over division; renew and strengthen civic institutions to accelerate inclusive problem-solving; and grow a more fair economy.
As an enterprise that integrates social impact with financial results, Unfinished’s portfolio includes a technology lab, a media initiative, an applied research institute, and an entrepreneurial network of innovators working to advance our economy, democracy and technology.
As we are in the early stages, we are looking to hire several self-motivated, talented individuals to help drive and execute on our mission. You should be purposeful, quality-driven, curious, determined, collaborative and fun.
Join on the ground floor of Unfinished! As a growing enterprise launched in 2020 and focused on strengthening our civic life in the digital age, we seek an entrepreneurial generalist attorney with a solid understanding of technology businesses to help create a world class legal department.
About the Role:
The Associate General Counsel will play a critical role in helping drive the growth of Unfinished. This person will partner with our General Counsel to support all legal needs of the enterprise across its various segments, ranging from general commercial contracts (such as consulting agreements, technology service agreements and NDAs), limited employee related matters, and IP and data privacy matters to assistance with high profile special projects, such as capital raising, M&A and investment management activities.
This role will require close collaboration with Unfinished’s technology and social impact business executives and other colleagues to achieve Unfinished’ s ambitious agenda. To support the broad range of Unfinished’s current and future business activities, this role will also partner as-needed with world-class external tax, legal and other advisory partners, as well as support work with Unfinished’s social impact Network Partners and a variety of external parties within the technology sector.
While our offices are currently closed due to the pandemic, this role will ultimately be based in New York City; however, there may be flexibility to be based in Los Angeles. The Associate General Counsel will report to the General Counsel and will also have partial support from a paralegal.
- Serve as primary point of contact in support of IP and data privacy related legal matters, including (with the assistance of outside IP counsel) the application for and maintenance of USPTO and international filings.
- Serve as a principal draftsperson and point of contact for the negotiation of various commercial contracts, including consulting agreements, technology service agreements and NDAs.
- Assist with limited employee-related matters, such as the drafting of offer letters.
- Work with the General Counsel and the paralegal to manage the legal department’s files.
- Support the General Counsel in delivering larger special projects on an as needed basis.
- Collaborate with the broader Unfinished team, providing updates on progress and outcomes, and assisting in the overall success of Unfinished.
- A Juris Doctorate degree.
- A license to practice law in New York or California.
- 4+ years of post-J.D. experience, including experience practicing law at a top law firm.
- Experience negotiating technology, licensing, and other intellectual property contracts.
- General familiarity with global data privacy laws and compliance regimes (in particular the CCPA and GDPR), combined with a willingness to take a deeper dive.
- Excellent drafting, negotiating and communication skills.
- Though not required, experience working in-house for a technology company and or other relevant experience in technology, IP and media would be a plus.
- You are a natural collaborator who can operate well within a networked business, exerting influence when necessary while building strong relationships throughout.
- You have strong attention to detail but also an ability to see the big picture and work constructively to marry business objectives with legal requirements.
- You are well known for your diligence, hard work and commitment to excellence and are looking forward to the next step in your legal career, joining an in-house team to help build this unique model of enterprise that integrates both financial results and social impact.
- We strive to always take the high road
- We take the long view
- We are builders
- We believe in the power of collective genius above lone heroes
- We value the possibilities opened through questions
- We are us
More About Us:
At Unfinished we aspire to move the traditional paradigm for solving problems from a top-down, disconnected approach to a more democratized, stakeholder-driven model. Our network convenes a community of diverse innovators from the worlds of impact, academia (such as Georgetown University), arts and culture (such as The Shed), nonprofits (such as the Ford Foundation and Aspen Institute), and the private sector to ensure diverse and thoughtful voices are connected to solve problems.
We want to put people at the decision-making table who are most impacted by the problems we are solving. We are doing this in several ways, including convening a group of impact organizations for collective action and movement building, and supporting the renewal of existing civic institutions—and the creation of new ones—to accelerate more inclusive problem-solving. We believe that by redirecting technology to work for the common good, we can leverage it as an essential tool to scale positive change. We work to build concrete tools and models to advance ethical models for information technology.
One of our first efforts will be to change the way technology is built--and our first focus is to change the model that drives social networks. Social networks inform how we experience almost everything. We can't strengthen civic institutions, foster a more sustainable democracy, or create a more fair economy if we don't first change the model that drives social networks. We see social networks as a public good that should be owned by everyone and a key lever for strengthening our civic architecture. We are working to decentralize social networks, shift control of data and networks from private companies to citizens, lay the foundation for a new world which generates economic value for people rather than extracting economic value from users. This moves social networks from closed, proprietary spaces to open, publicly owned infrastructure on which anyone can build. This more ethical model offers the opportunity for change at scale across all dimensions of society.
We believe having diversity of perspective, professional backgrounds, identity groups and lived experience is a strength for teams and we actively encourage candidates of all backgrounds to apply. Unfinished is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, genetics, disability, age, and familial, caregiver, or veteran status.