The Child Neurology Foundation (CNF) is a national non-profit that works to support the whole child neurology community. We are the only non-profit in the child neurology advocacy space that was by physicians, and to this day we have strong physician leadership on our Board of Directors. The Child Neurology Foundation connects partners from all areas of the child neurology community so those navigating the journey of disease diagnosis, management, and care have the ongoing support from those dedicated to treatments and cures.
Our network of patients and caregivers, volunteers and advocates, researchers and clinicians is committed to helping one another along the path that leads to the best quality of care - and the highest quality of life - for every child.
CNF has been expanding steadily and is now seeking to dramatically accelerate this growth. We are looking for a Director of Operations to join our team in Lexington, Kentucky.
The Director of Operations is responsible for overseeing CNF’s Department of Operations and reports directly to the Executive Director / CEO. The Director of Operations assists the Executive Director / CEO and the leadership team in providing oversight to the operations of the organization, including Human Resources & Culture, Travel & Meeting Management, Risk Management, and Legal & Compliance. As CNF is a growing organization, the Director of Operations will work collaboratively with the Executive Director / CEO to establish streamlined, cost-effective policies and procedures for the organization’s Department of Operations as deemed appropriate, while tracking key performance indicators. The Director of Operations will join CNF’s leadership team, working very closely with the Director of Programs, Director of Development, and the Director of Finance & Technology, as well as provide day-to-day supervision of the Department of Operations’ team members.
· Serves on CNF’s leadership team, consistently demonstrating professionalism, collaboration, and strategic thinking.
· In collaboration with the Executive Director / CEO, lead the prioritization of organization’s growing operational needs to inform Department’s day-to-day execution of appropriate policies, procedures, and workflows.
· Manages the organization’s Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) Committee.
· Provide applicable reports to the Board of Directors as requested.
· Provides day-to-day supervision of Operations Department’s team members.
· Troubleshoot and implement solutions as well as leverage technology to address organizational needs, workflows, or inefficiencies.
Human Resources & Culture (50%)
· Leads all human resource processes and systems, including personnel policies and procedures, hiring and termination processes, employee relations, benefits, and performance review procedures.
· Responsible for ensuring compliance with applicable legislation and regulations.
· Support the Executive Director / CEO in implementing professional development programs and guiding overall organizational development and implementation.
· Provide oversight to the management of CNF HQ office, including office organization, material and supply ordering, appropriate policies & procedures, and coordination of needed facility management vendors (i.e. security, repairs).
· In collaboration with the Executive Director / CEO and leadership team, manages staff engagements that foster the organization’s culture of a trusting, person-first, collaborative, and productive environment, including All-Staff meetings, annual retreats, and virtual team gatherings.
· Coordinate the annual Executive Compensation and Performance Review Board Committee.
Travel & Meeting Management (25%)
· Provide oversight to the management of all travel and meeting management needs of the organization on an annual basis, including travel reservations, meeting logistics, and coordination among vendors, team, and attendees.
· Provide Executive Director / CEO with annual assessment of organizational travel and meeting management needs to ensure efficient and cost-effective operations.
Legal & Compliance (25%)
· In collaboration with Executive Director / CEO and outside legal counsel, provide management to the areas of Operations that hold potential liability, including policies and procedures, insurance policies, contracting, and negotiations.
· In collaboration with Executive Director / CEO, manage procurement policy and procedures.
· Provide oversight to the management of record retention procedures.
· Effectively communicate and triage areas of liability to Executive Director / CEO in a timely manner.
This job description may not cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, activities, and responsibilities may change at any time with or without notice.
· Bachelor’s Degree in Management, Human Resources, Administration, Business, or related field of study is required.
· Master’s Degree is preferred.
· Minimum of 5 years of experience in Nonprofit Operations Management is required.
· Demonstrated leadership in oversight of team / division / department daily operations is required.
· Demonstrated leadership in establishing and managing policies & procedures, and appropriate systems.
· Experience in managing hybrid work environments (virtual and locale employees / contractor / brand offices) is preferred.
· Familiarity with change management and project management approaches, tools, and phases of the project lifecycle.
Additional Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
· Demonstrated understanding of CNF’s mission and values is required
· Solid understanding of nonprofit industry
· Demonstrated maturity, good judgment, and excellent human relations skills are required
· Ability to think conceptually, portray good analytical skills, and demonstrate assertiveness to manage the scope and diversity of the responsibilities is required
· Commitment to results; “can-do” mindset with emphasis on accountability is required
· Ability to design and lead project plans for system improvement and implementation
· Strong motivational and staff leadership abilities are required
· Demonstrated success in coaching / counseling managers and employees across a wide spectrum of HR, performance, and talent processes
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills are required
· Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously is required
· Strong organizational skills and attention to detail are required
· Ability to handle confidential information is required
· Proficiency in Microsoft 365 applications (Outlook, SharePoint, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint) and Adobe Acrobat platforms is required
Additional Position Information
FLSA fication: Exempt
Travel Requirements: ~10% travel required
Location: Lexington, KY; hybrid working environment
Schedule: Occasional evenings and weekends required
Salary and Benefits
Salary: Flexible. Commensurate with experience.
Benefits: CNF offers a comprehensive benefit package that includes health, dental and vision insurance, generous contribution to retirement savings and paid time off, a flexible spending account and more.
Child Neurology Foundation is an equal opportunity employer.