Small businesses uplift communities and anchor local economies, while creating opportunities for themselves, their families, their employees, and our neighborhoods. Yet entrepreneurs who are people of color, women, and immigrants often struggle to secure capital and resources, as they are systematically shut out from traditional financing.
Accion Opportunity Fund is an unparalleled financial support system that provides these small business owners with access to capital, networks, and coaching. We work to build inclusive and accessible options for these determined business owners. For over 25 years we have served a client base that is nearly 90% women, people of color, or immigrants.
In addition to providing resources and loans to small businesses, we also conduct original research, advocate for policy changes, and finance community construction projects in low-income neighborhoods through our New Markets Tax Credit program.
Together, we are building a diverse, vibrant community where opportunity, knowledge, and access to capital are within reach.
For more information about us, visit https://aofund.org/
Reporting to the Assistant Controller, we need a hands-on accounting professional to fill the role of Senior Accountant. This role will be the primary accounting support in revenue recognitions, capitalization, expenditure tracking, reconciliation and reporting for grants and projects. Additionally, the Senior Accountant will provide general accounting support for fiscal period closes, financial reporting, and audits.
The ideal candidate must be flexible and able to proactively take on new responsibilities and should have the ability and desire to work in a fast-paced environment and handle multiple projects at once. The candidate must also be able to communicate effectively and professionally with individuals outside of the Finance group. This is an exciting opportunity for a self-starter who is highly motivated, takes initiative, and is a strong team player.
Key Responsibilities/ Accountabilities:
Grants and Projects
- Prepare grant billings and associated journal entries.
- Work with the Grants and Project Finance Manager on the budgeting and tracking of grants.
- Work closely with teams outside of the Finance organization to prepare monthly reconciliations of grant receivables, grant revenue, utilization of grant funds and release of restrictions.
- Assist the Grants and Project Finance Manager with the preparation of grantor and regulatory reporting, ensuring compliance with established guidelines
- Record and reconcile project funding sources, capitalization of software development costs and allocation of expenses to projects and grants.
- Provide required information to auditors and management along with necessary audit schedules.
Other Accounting Activities
- Prepare and process monthly, quarterly, and year-end entries, and reconciliations for financial statements
- Review and post cash receipts and reconcile bank accounts.
- Prepare, review, and verify the accuracy of journal entries prior to posting.
- Recommend procedures and assist with the implementation of corrective actions.
- Designs, implements, and maintains internal controls, reports for financial systems and interfaces.
Highly qualified candidates will share Accion Opportunity Fund’s commitment to its mission and will embody the organization’s core values bringing a broad range of skills and experience including, but not limited to:
- BA/BS degree in accounting or business with five or more years of accounting experience.
- CPA or CPA candidate
- Experience with:
- Nonprofit fund or grant accounting.
- Tracking IT projects and recording the capitalization of software development costs
- Performing bank reconciliations
- Creating and posting journal entries
- Taking a customer service mindset while proactively working with other departments
- Proficiency with accounting software and intermediate spreadsheet skills required. NetSuite experience a strong plus.
- Experience working as part of a team delivering coordinated services.
- Excellent communication and problem-solving skills.
- Strong attention to details.
- A desire to learn and advance in their careers
- Ability to juggle multiple tasks and priorities.
- Ability to work in a fast paced, multi-cultural environment
Perks & Benefits
Our mission is what motivates us to come to work each day. We know that happy employees are productive employees, which is why we offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes:
- Competitive salary commensurate with experience.
- An environment that values work-life balance.
- 100% company-funded Medical, Dental, Vision, Life & Disability coverage for employees (Based upon your plan selection).
- 90% company-funded dependent coverage (Based upon your plan selection).
- Voluntary benefits with payroll deduction for Supplemental Life & AD&D insurance, Auto/Renters/Homeowners insurance, Pet Insurance and Legal plans.
- Tax deferred & Roth 403(b) Retirement Plan with employer match. Employer match increases with tenure.
- Paid vacation days (increased with tenure), 12 paid holidays, and 10 Sick days, and family leave days per year.
Diverse candidates are encouraged to apply, especially BIPOC.
Accion Opportunity Fund is an Equal Opportunity Employer. aofund.org