Small businesses uplift communities and anchor local economies, while creating opportunities for themselves, their families, their employees, and our neighborhoods. Yet entrepreneurs who are people of color, women, and immigrants often struggle to secure capital and resources, as they are systematically shut out from traditional financing.
Accion Opportunity Fund is an unparalleled financial support system that provides these small business owners with access to capital, networks, and coaching. We work to build inclusive and accessible options for these determined business owners. For over 25 years we have served a client base that is nearly 90% women, people of color, or immigrants.
In addition to providing resources and loans to small businesses, we also conduct original research, advocate for policy changes, and finance community construction projects in low-income neighborhoods through our New Markets Tax Credit program.
Together, we are building a diverse, vibrant community where opportunity, knowledge, and access to capital are within reach.
For more information about us, visit https://aofund.org/
Reporting to the Chief Legal and Regulatory Strategy Officer, the Staff Attorney is responsible for providing legal support and guidance across a wide range of issues, including developing and maintaining a repository of relevant regulations and related company training. The Staff Attorney will have experience with California licensing and regulatory requirements as well as strong analytical, legal research and writing, and negotiation skills, and the ability to work collaboratively with internal and external stakeholders on legal matters impacting AOF.
- Negotiating, writing, reviewing executing agreements and contracts on behalf of the company.
- Working across the business to provide counsel on a variety of federal and state legal issues, including in the areas of financial services or capital markets, credit rating and regulatory compliance.
- Advising executives and business leaders within the company.
- Advising on contract status, legal risks, and the legal liabilities associated with different opportunities.
- Developing and maintaining appropriate interactions with relevant local and state governmental bodies, legislatures, and community organizations.
- Keeping current on legal developments, especially those impacting the financial services, lending and CDFI industry.
- Researching and anticipating unique legal issues that could impact the company.
- Reviewing advertising and marketing materials to ensure they comply with legal requirements
- Developing and providing internal company training on regulatory topics.
- Assist in establishing and maintaining a repository or relevant federal and state laws and regulations.
- Responsibility for California licensing and other regulatory filings.
Highly qualified candidates will share Opportunity Fund’s commitment to its mission and will embody the organization’s core values bringing a broad range of skills and experience including, but not limited to:
- J.D. from an accredited US law school.
- Admitted to the California bar and practicing in California for at least three years.
- Experience with large law firm and/or in-house with major firm or financial institution a plus.
- Strong interpersonal and presentation skills, along with the ability to communicate effectively with others at all levels of the organization.
- Strong negotiating skills regarding legal and financial/commercial issues.
- Experience and skill in drafting and negotiating contracts.
- Ability to work with outside counsel efficiently and effectively on company matters.
- Ability to identify, articulate and appropriately balance legal and business risks.
- Strong analytical, organizational and communication skills.
- Ability to work independently and to effectively multi-task and prioritize.
- Ability to establish and maintain strong relationships within the organization’s legal department and across all businesses and functions.
Perks & Benefits
Our mission is what motivates us to come to work each day. We know that happy employees are productive employees, which is why we offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes:
- Competitive salary commensurate with experience.
- An environment that values work-life balance.
- 100% company-funded Medical, Dental, Vision, Life & Disability coverage for employees (Based upon your plan selection). 90% company-funded dependent coverage (Based upon your plan selection).
- Voluntary benefits with payroll deduction for Supplemental Life & AD&D insurance, Auto/Renters/Homeowners insurance, Pet Insurance and Legal plans.
- Tax deferred & Roth 403(b) Retirement Plan with employer match. Employer match increases with tenure.
- Paid vacation days (increased with tenure), 12 paid holidays, and 10 Sick days, and family leave days per year.
- This is a fully remote (work from home) position.
Diverse candidates are encouraged to apply, especially BIPOC.
Accion Opportunity Fund is an Equal Opportunity Employer. aofund.org