Small businesses uplift communities and anchor local economies, while creating opportunities for themselves, their families, their employees, and our neighborhoods. Yet entrepreneurs who are people of color, women, and immigrants often struggle to secure capital and resources, as they are systematically shut out from traditional financing.
Accion Opportunity Fund is an unparalleled financial support system that provides these small business owners with access to capital, networks, and coaching. We work to build inclusive and accessible options for these determined business owners. For over 25 years we have served a client base that is nearly 90% women, people of color, or immigrants.
In addition to providing resources and loans to small businesses, we also conduct original research, advocate for policy changes, and finance community construction projects in low-income neighborhoods through our New Markets Tax Credit program.
Due to the pandemic, life for small business owners and those they employ in the coming year is going to be harder than ever. As small business owners figure out how to reopen or pivot their businesses, their challenges include lower revenues, ongoing expenses, paying off debt, complying with new safety regulations, deciding whether to rehire employees, and uncertainty about supply chains and consumer demand. Without intervention it is anticipated that 30 to 40 percent of small businesses will fail. Over the last months we have supported over 16,000 entrepreneurs and we remain determined in ensuring their resiliency in the path forward.
Together, we are building a diverse, vibrant community where opportunity, knowledge, and access to capital are within reach.
For more information about us, visit https://aofund.org/
Reporting to the Regional VP of Development (RVP), the Development Fundraising Intern will support the development and expansion of our national major gift programs in support of Black entrepreneurs, execute prospect research and donor data management, and engage with two donor leadership groups by furthering their strategic growth . This opportunity provides hands on experience with individual, corporate, and private foundation fundraising and engagement with Board and donor committee development.
Fundraising Campaign Development
Access and grow incremental (new) giving to AOF Black entrepreneurship focused programming and products from corporate and private foundations who have made long term financial commitments to support Black communities/racial justice intersection with Black markets.
Develop and implement a “sponsorship” program for institutional giving funders for Black entrepreneurs and an individual giving “member” program for major gift donors. Key activities include:
- Support the development of tailored pitch decks for strategic appeals.
- Work in the identification of key markets and strategies for engagement.
- Identify key philanthropic networks for advancing new initiative.
Prospect Research & List Management
- Target population: Real Estate, Technology and Entertainment
- Major Gift - Entrepreneurs
- Private Foundation & Family Foundation
- Profiles on current Funders/Donors
Support the acquisition of donors and funders for general operating and individual donor initiatives. Key activities include:
- Gather information from prospect research tools (iWave, Inside Philanthropy, & Foundation Center)
- Work with VP to define criteria for search.
- Identify the prospects and review with VP.
- Develop template for prospect research profiles that accounts for background, philanthropy, wealth markers and charitable motivations.
- In review execute final wealth screen.
- Targeted recommendations for supporting those business owners during recovery.
- Prospect Management in Salesforce
Support, SoCal Regional Board, and Initiative for Black Entrepreneurship
Support two Donor Initiatives that are set to raise $2M annually. Key activities include:
- Crafting monthly or more frequent communications on multiple platforms.
- Meeting preparation that includes invites, registration management, development, and coordination of meeting materials.
- Work with VP, Marketing team to shape external messaging plan and activation.
- Attendance of meetings and support follow-up (meeting notes, outreach to members on next steps).
Highly qualified candidates will share Accion Opportunity Fund’s commitment to its mission and will embody the organization’s core values bringing a broad range of skills and experience including, but not limited to:
- Be highly proficient with Microsoft Office (Word, Teams, Excel & PowerPoint) and G-Suite. Proficiency with Salesforce and various social media is a plus.
- Effective working remotely and independently. Workdays and hours are flexible.
- Previous experience or demonstration of ability to support and interact with corporate, foundation and community leaders.
- Has a track record of taking initiative; have excellent analytical, problem-solving and communication (both written and verbal) skills; be extremely detail-oriented; and successfully manage multiple priorities and projects with minimal supervision.
Diverse candidates are encouraged to apply, especially BIPOC.
Accion Opportunity Fund is an Equal Opportunity Employer. | https://aofund.org/