Small businesses uplift communities and anchor local economies, while creating opportunities for themselves, their families, their employees, and our neighborhoods. Yet entrepreneurs who are people of color, women, and immigrants often struggle to secure capital and resources, as they are systematically shut out from traditional financing.
Accion Opportunity Fund is an unparalleled financial support system that provides these small business owners with access to capital, networks, and coaching. We work to build inclusive and accessible options for these determined business owners. For over 25 years we have served a client base that is nearly 90% women, people of color, or immigrants.
In addition to providing resources and loans to small businesses, we also conduct original research, advocate for policy changes, and finance community construction projects in low-income neighborhoods through our New Markets Tax Credit program.
Together, we are building a diverse, vibrant community where opportunity, knowledge, and access to capital are within reach.
For more information about us, visit https://aofund.org/.
Reporting to the Vice President for Partnerships & Development, Accion Opportunity Fund (AOF) is seeking an experienced and dynamic Communications Specialist to support the organization’s fundraising and communications teams. The ideal candidate will have experience researching and writing compelling narratives under tight deadlines for diverse audiences and communicating organizational impact through storytelling. They are proactive, energized by engaging with others, value mutual respect in discourse, and have a natural curiosity about how to achieve goals and higher aspirations. They will be passionate about entrepreneurship, racial equity and justice, and community and economic development. Spanish bilingual preferred. This position can be fully remote with occasional domestic travel required post-COVID.
- Research and write grant proposals, reports, concept notes, and impact narrative. This includes proactively seeking out and interviewing key stakeholders such as community partners, loan clients, staff, and others who are involved in our work and identifying compelling stories that the organization and funders can use in our work.
- Work with teams across the organization on key communications deliverables for funders, including crafting media pitches around key moments and gathering data to be responsive to funder and media communications requests.
- Proactively reach out to AOF’s clients across diverse geographies and industries to identify clients to feature in client stories on our website, funder reports, social media, and media pitches. This includes responding under tight deadlines to requests for story information and developing creative solutions to meet stakeholder communications needs.
- Research and stay abreast of key trends, reports, and information that demonstrates the challenges the organization is trying to address for small business and the impact of small business on the broader economic landscape. This includes tracking and keeping updated key statistics and data that can be drawn upon for fundraising and impact narratives.
- Support marketing team on social media efforts, including proposing social media campaigns and posts around key communications moments to expand the reach of the organization.
- Draft communications products and content for diverse audiences, including funders and small business owners. This may include annual reports, e-newsletters, campaign collateral, flyers, impact story highlights around key moments, or organizational responses to issues in the news.
- Draft talking points, briefing documents, and other internal communications materials to support team members.
- Assist with special events as assigned.
- This can be a fully REMOTE (work from home) position.
Highly qualified candidates will share Accion Opportunity Fund’s commitment to its mission and will embody the organization’s core values bringing a broad range of skills and experience including, but not limited to:
- BA/BS required and a minimum of five (5) years of writing and reporting experience, ideally either for nonprofit organizations and/or as a mission-driven journalist. A combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Excellent writing, editing, research and communications skills, with an emphasis on proposal writing for funding. Ability to convey complex ideas through brief, simple materials. Ability to understand the organization’s target audience and develop effective communications strategies and materials.
- Strong interpersonal and relationship management skills and comfort level with conducting outreach and interviews to develop compelling narrative.
- Experience with digital tools in storytelling.
- Experience collaborating with multiple stakeholders to integrate input and feedback form a wide audience to achieve work objectives.
- Proven track record of exceeding goals; evidence of the ability to make strategic decisions; ability to navigate and balance interests of multiple stakeholders.
- Ability to maintain high level of organization, to manage several projects at once, and to meet deadlines. Attention to detail and ability to consistently follow through, with determined self-motivation and autonomy.
- Evidence of sound judgment, discretion, and highest ethical standards.
- An entrepreneurial mindset, self-motivated, flexible, creative, comfortable in a fast-paced work culture.
- Works well under tight deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Familiarity with and interest in entrepreneurship, community development, and racial and social justice.
- Spanish bilingual preferred.
Perks & Benefits
Our mission is what motivates us to come to work each day. We know that happy employees are productive employees, which is why we offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes:
- Competitive salary commensurate with experience.
- An environment that values work-life balance.
- 100% company-funded Medical, Dental, Vision, Life & Disability coverage for employees (Based upon your plan selection). 90% company-funded dependent coverage (Based upon your plan selection).
- Voluntary benefits with payroll deduction for Supplemental Life & AD&D insurance, Auto/Renters/Homeowners insurance, Pet Insurance, and Legal plans.
- Tax-deferred & Roth 403(b) Retirement Plan with employer match. Employer match increases with tenure.
- Paid vacation days (increased with tenure), 12 paid holidays, and 10 Sick days, and family leave days per year.
Diverse candidates are encouraged to apply, especially BIPOC.
Accion Opportunity Fund is an Equal Opportunity