Job Title: Substation Technician
- Participate in or leads substation inspection, operation, and maintenance activities.
- Oversee and perform periodic inspections of company and client owned substations, transmission lines, and distribution lines.
- Assist with troubleshooting and outage response, prepare switching instructions, and coordinate contractor activities.
- Communicate planned and unplanned outages with clients through phone calls, text messages, and email.
Essential Job Functions:
- Perform monthly, annual, and ad hoc inspections of HV substations and transmission lines, and MV distribution lines;
- Perform regular and routine maintenance activities, and contract for third-party maintenance services;
- Write switching instructions and perform both HV and MV switching;
- Provide emergency response, troubleshooting, and service restoration;
- Provide client notice and updates of outages and maintenance work by phone, text, and email, in a timely manner;
- Maintain a log of station outages, including time, cause, duration, and response times;
- Create and maintain a safety conscious work environment by leading and influencing others to follow PPM safety protocols and safe work practices;
- Must be able to work in the field on remote job sites, in and around energized high voltage, medium voltage, and low voltage electrical infrastructure;
- Must be able to travel regularly as required for asset management inspections and projects;
- Strong communications skills, and be customer focused, to appropriately identify and respond to clients’ business needs in a professional and courteous manner;
- Must be a problem solver, with creative and innovative thinking;
- Must have experience or ability to read and interpret electrical drawings, including one-line and relaying;
- Must have the ability to work collaboratively with third-party contractors;
- Ability to communicate with utility dispatch personnel;
- Ability to follow prescribed safety protocols and safe work practices;
- Ability to use appropriate test equipment, instruments, and tools required for inspection and maintenance activities;
- Demonstrate a strong work ethic, and willingness to learn and contribute to a fast-paced team;
Education & Experience:
Associate's degree (A. A.) or equivalent from two-year college or technical school; or three months to one year