We are currently looking to fill the position of Scada Dispatcher. This is a technical position that works under the direction of the Operations Manager to monitor and maintain the electric SCADA system. Works closely with Engineering department on a variety of related projects. This position will create and coordinate switching/tagging orders, dispatch outages as needed and operate and maintain the SCADA system.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Understand, observe and enforce cooperative safety and security procedures and report potentially unsafe conditions to department supervisor and/or safety department personnel.
- Monitor and operate the SCADA and OMS system. Demonstrates an ability to make sound decisions regarding the system based on current and potential conditions.
- Has a thorough understanding of radial transmission and distribution systems including electrical substation equipment.
- Develop and write switching orders for planned/unplanned circuit transfers. Utilize mapping data, field verification and load data in developing switching orders.
- Work closely with other departments to ensure all are involved and aware of ongoing system operations.
- Perform daily dispatching and logging of crews as they perform their daily work.
- Coordinate with other utilities and members for planned transfers and outages.
- Perform and develop load flow studies and other necessary analysis required to make good engineering decisions regarding switching and load transfers
- Ensure the SCADA system is up to date including functions such as adding, changing and removing SCADA controlled devices, points and connections to the SCADA system.
- Perform load management deferrals and restores, as required.
- Perform other related duties as may be assigned.
Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactory. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills and/or abilities necessary. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Experience and Education: 2-year Electrical Engineering Technology or Electronics Engineering Technology Degree or equivalent. Two to four years of previous SCADA and/or switching and tagging experience preferred. Prefer some engineering experience regarding load flow and analysis.
- Certificates, Licenses and Training: Must possess a valid driver’s license and have the ability to attend meetings and/or training seminars when requested, includings and/or training that involves overnight stay. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills to do the job at a high level of accomplishment.
- Language and Interpersonal Skills: Must possess excellent communications skills and treat others in a courteous and professional manner. Ability to present written and oral reports to management when requested. Is a good listener and actively engages in conversations in order to clearly understand others’ message and intent. Is easy to approach and talk to and spends the extra effort to put others at ease.
- Other Skills and Abilities: Performs well under stress, when confronted with emergency, critical, or unusual situations. Displays high standards of ethical conduct and is widely trusted and viewed as a direct and truthful person. Maintains sensitive information with a high level of confidentiality. Effectively solves problems and has a realistic vision of the end result. Can handle multiple tasks with ease and remains organized in work area and work flow process. Requires minimal supervision.
Physical Demands and Work Environment: The physical demands described below are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Work is performed primarily in an office environment where climate and noise levels are controlled. No known hazards exist. Field verification of equipment will require field site visits.
- The physical demands of this position include frequent sitting, standing, walking, lifting and/or carrying, talking, hearing, visual ability and mental and emotional demands.
- This position is subject to pre-employment substance abuse testing, as well as, random testing in accordance with the company’s drug and alcohol policies.
- Must be available for unscheduled overtime and be able to work during non-working hours which may include weekends and holidays.
- This position will work a rotating shift.