WHIN Music Community Charter School is the first school of its kind! Built on the principles of El Sistema, WHIN is a place where children learn, grow, and make music together. At WHIN, we are building a nucleo, a community where staff, families, and students work together to make a powerful shift in public education that puts learners’ needs first.
To provide our diverse student population with rigorous academic instruction, intensive music education and a positive learning environment so that every student can thrive academically and personally.
- that all children deserve a high quality education, with access to academic rigor, music creation, and a holistic approach to developing character.
- that a collaboration with families ensures the greatest success for our learners.
- that restorative justice, inquiry-based hands on learning, and authentic learning experiences provide the most effective environments for growth, success, and joy.
We are looking for teachers who are…
- looking to grow and prosper in a collaborative work environment, including in co-taught classrooms.
- excited about teaching in a school and neighborhood where diversity is central.
- highly qualified and certified in Special Education, English as a New Language, and/or Early Childhood Education.
We support teachers by…
- coaching and professional growth to deepen instructional practices.
- peer-to-peer observations, feedback, and support as well as ongoing professional development.
- having two teachers co-teaching to ensure all learners’ needs are met and teachers can work collaboratively to be at their best.
In action, our mission looks like caring deeply about all aspects of our young learners’ potential. We make academics a priority while also ensuring students’ character and personal growth. With music at our core, students experience working together to create something bigger than their individual skills every single day, and this approach extends to our classrooms where project-based, hands on learning cultivates curious, creative, and hardworking learners.
WHIN is currently seeking an Associate Teacher who is ready to help grow a unique school community where compassion, kindness, and curiosity drive each and every day.
Specifically, the Associate Teacher is responsible for:
· Work closely with classroom teachers to teach and facilitate small group and whole class instruction
· Collaborate with colleagues to create rigorous and engaging long-term plans, unit plans, and daily lesson plans
· Maintain a productive, organized, safe, neat and focused learning environment
· Provide individual and small group support for students
· Administer meaningful and frequent assessments in a timely manner
· Keep parents informed about students’ progress
· Uphold all school policies within the classroom
· Attend designated school functions outside of school hours
· Attend and participate in all school/parent meetings
· Contribute to the planning and execution of all school-wide events
· Receive and implement feedback from school leaders and other staff
· Participate with enthusiasm in all school wide professional development
· Participate in a teacher certification program (if applicable)
· Meet weekly for feedback on instruction/planning
· Perform necessary duties including but not limited to bus, lunch, and dismissal duties
Qualifications for the Teaching Fellow are:
· Bachelor's degree (in education preferred)
· Masters degree (in education preferred)
· Background, knowledge and experience in a PK-12 school setting (student teaching, observations, after school programs)
· Demonstrated excellence in academic and/or work history
· Actively pursuing or newly certified in NYS for Special Education, English as a New Language or General Education Birth-2/Grades 1-6
· An unwavering belief that all students can achieve at a high level
· Proven commitment and success working with students and families
· The ability to thrive in a startup environment
· The ability to excel in a fast-paced, dynamic, and exciting school
· A sense of humor and kindness towards your colleagues
Advanced proficiency in one or more of the following areas is strongly preferred
· Bilingual (Spanish)
· Music performance
· Early Childhood teaching experience and/or certifications
· Project Based Learning and Inquiry Based Learning
· Responsive Classroom, Love & Logic Student Management, and Restorative Justice models
Compensation and Benefits: WHIN Music Community Charter School offers a competitive salary and benefits, fun and professional working environment, as well as ongoing development opportunities.
EEO Policy: WHIN Music Community Charter School is an equal rights and opportunity agency and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, religion, ancestry, marital status, or any other legally protected classification in its activities, educational programs, or employment practices as required by Title VI, IX, and Section 504.