Scientist II/III, Molecular Biology (Preclinical R&D)
AavantiBio is looking for an experienced Scientist II/III to contribute to advancing gene therapy for rare diseases. The incumbent will be part of the pre-clinical research group and contribute to proof-of-concept studies and assay development. This ideal candidate should have experience in molecular biology techniques, including PCR, immunoassays (ELISA, WB, IF, etc.), and cell-based bioassays. The candidate must be able to develop and troubleshoot new molecular biology methods under the guidance of senior group members and seek feedback as necessary while requiring minimal day-to-day oversight. This individual will report to the Director of Pre-Clinical Biology and will be based in the company’s labs in Gainesville, Florida.
· Full-time position. Benefits include high-quality health insurance plans including both gold and platinum Blue Cross Blue Shield plans, for which AavantiBio pays a competitive 85% of the health insurance premiums for our employees and their families. In addition to health insurance, we have put in place flexible spending accounts and other benefits for our employees, including dental, vision, short- and long-term disability, group life insurance, AFLAC, and more. To assist our employees with their retirement planning, AavantiBio offers a safe-harbor 401(k) plan with a generous 6% company match.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
· Molecular biology studies, including qPCR, ddPCR, immunoassays (ELISA, western blot, immunofluorescence)
· Cell culture of multiple immortalized cell lines, cell-based assays, and confocal microscopy.
· Analyze data and maintain detailed electronic records for internal records and regulatory submissions.
· Work with senior research staff to develop and qualify bioassays (primarily cell-based).
·. Work with senior research staff to develop and quality bioassays (primarily cell-based)
Work with senior research staff to establish and maintain relationships with CROs for efficient and successful transfer bioassays, as necessary.
Communicate experimental findings on a timely basis and
independently seek feedback as necessary.
· Work with senior research staff to establish and maintain relationships with CROs to transfer molecular assays as necessary.
· Work as part of a multi-site team.
· Ensure that quality standards are met.
· Keep up to date with relevant scientific and technical developments pertinent to the role
· Performs other related duties as assigned.
Required Education, Skills, and Experience:
· Masters degree with 3+ years of relevant experience or PhD with 1+ year of relevant experience, preferably in the biopharmaceutical industry. The degree should be in an appropriate scientific field, such as biology, molecular biology, cell biology, or genetics.
· Competent in the following methods: immunoassays (western blots, ELISAs, IF, IHC) brightfield and confocal imaging, DNA and RNA extraction and purification, PCR, molecular cloning, and other general molecular biology techniques.
· Minimum of 2 years cell culture experience with strong aseptic technique training, familiarity with immortalized and primary cell lines (iPSC cells a plus) and working knowledge of cell-based assays.
· Experience in fluorescence microscopy and data analysis.
· Experienced in assay development and troubleshooting molecular biology methods including cell-based assays
· Experience working with tissue specimens and developing and optimizing histological-based assays and techniques such as immunohistochemistry (IHC), in-situ hybridization (ISH), and immunofluorescence (IF), a plus
· Ability to multitask and contribute to multiple projects under demanding timelines
· Ability to thrive in a fast-paced and dynamic environment with frequent course corrections
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills, highly organized and detail-focused with strong troubleshooting skills and the ability to work effectively in a collaborative environment
The level of this position will be based on the final candidate's qualifications. Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of an employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
About the Company
Biotechnology – 40-60 employees
AavantiBio is a pre-clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company committed to developing and commercializing novel gene transfer and gene editing therapies for the treatment of rare and ultra-rare genetic diseases. The company is rapidly building a diverse portfolio of gene transfer and gene editing therapies to target debilitating genetic diseases for which the unmet medical need is high and for which there are typically no approved therapies treating the underlying disease.
Headquartered in Cambridge, MA with an additional location in Gainesville, FL, AavantiBio is looking for exceptional individuals who share our passion for developing novel therapies to treat rare diseases and advancing the field of gene transfer therapy.
AavantiBio is committed to nondiscrimination with respect to race, creed, color, religion, age, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, marital status, national origin, political opinions or affiliations, genetic information, and veteran status in all aspects of employment including recruitment, hiring, promotions, transfers, discipline, terminations, wage and salary administration, benefits, and training.