AavantiBio is seeking an experienced Biotechnology Intellectual Property (IP) Attorney to join its team. This is an exciting opportunity to grow and develop in-house legal and IP expertise to advance the company’s business objectives. This patent lawyer will directly support AavantiBio’s gene therapy platform and pipeline of pre-clinical and clinical candidates. The successful candidate will manage a broad range of patent preparation and prosecution matters in a fast-paced environment to build and maintain a strong strategic intellectual property portfolio in support of the company’s drug discovery, development, and commercialization efforts. It is highly desired for the successful candidate to have meaningful patent prosecution experience in the fields of molecular biology and/or cell biology, gene therapy, antibodies, and/or biologic drug discovery technologies. The role will require the development of partnerships with research, development, and manufacturing teams.
· Full-time salary position with the opportunity for annual bonuses and participation in the Equity Incentive Plan. Benefits include high-quality health insurance plans including both gold and platinum Blue Cross Blue Shield plans, for which AavantiBio pays a competitive 85% of the health insurance premiums for our employees and their families. In addition to health insurance, we have put in place flexible spending accounts and other benefits for our employees, including dental, vision, short- and long-term disability, group life insurance, AFLAC, and more. To assist our employees with their retirement planning, AavantiBio offers a safe-harbor 401(k) plan with a generous 6% company match.
· Identify patentable inventions through frequent interactions with internal and external R&D project teams, facilitate the creation of appropriate patent protection strategies and execute on those strategies with guidance as needed.
· Independently provide strategic direction to outside counsel and foreign agents on patent filing and prosecution matters.
· Prepare and prosecute patent applications directly with the USPTO.
· Carry out the above preparation and prosecution activities in conjunction with external business partners and their IP lawyers.
· Review proposed publications and presentations for potential impact on the patent portfolio.
· Support the provision of IP landscapes, patentability, FTO opinions, and Due Diligence assessments for R&D pipeline programs and Business Development opportunities.
· Assist other in-house counsel in the negotiation and drafting of agreements with IP implications (e.g., CDAs, MTAs, research agreements, licenses, etc.)
· Assist in IP contentious matters in US and foreign patent offices and courts as needed.
· Educate and advise colleagues on intellectual-property issues and good practices.
· Juris Doctorate from an ABA accredited law school and Ph.D. in Molecular Biology and/or Cellular Biology, Immunology or Biochemistry preferred; BS/MS degree in the above or similar fields with substantial relevant research experience in a Biotechnology area will be considered
· Admitted to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office and member of at least one US state bar
· 5+ years of demonstrated experience in prosecuting and preparing technically relevant patent applications at a highly regarded law firm and/or corporate legal department; Ideal candidates will have practiced patent law both at a highly-regarded law firm and in a corporate legal department.
· Meaningful preparation and prosecution experience with Biotechnology or Biopharmaceutical subject matter.
· Experience with US and EP post-grant patent office proceedings is a plus.
· Familiarity with regulatory exclusivities candidates filed under a Biologics License Application (“BLA”).
· Familiarity with agreements with IP implications;
· Strong oral and written communication skills;
· Demonstrated interpersonal interaction skills;
· In-depth computer proficiency skills in MS Office and Adobe Acrobat Pro;
· Strong analytical thinking and attention to detail;
· Strong organizational skills and ability to manage and drive projects cross-functionally across departments; and
· Strong prioritization skills and the ability to effectively manage multiple tasks and priorities, and the ability to quickly adjust to shifting priorities and demanding deadlines when necessary.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
AavantiBio is committed to nondiscrimination with respect to race, creed, color, religion, age, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, marital status, national origin, political opinions or affiliations, genetic information, and veteran status in all aspects of employment including recruitment, hiring, promotions, transfers, discipline, terminations, wage and salary administration, benefits, and training.
About the company
11-50 employees - Biotechnology
AavantiBio is a clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company committed to developing and commercializing novel gene transfer and gene editing therapies for the treatment of rare and ultra-rare genetic diseases. The company is rapidly building a diverse portfolio of gene transfer and gene editing therapies to target debilitating genetic diseases for which the unmet medical need is high and for which there are typically no approved therapies treating the underlying disease.
AavantiBio is headquartered in Cambridge, MA with an additional location in Gainesville, FL. We are looking for exceptional individuals who share our passion for developing novel therapies to treat rare diseases and advancing the field of gene transfer therapy.
Developing genetic treatments for rare diseases is inspiring but challenging work and it takes dedication and courage which will make a meaningful impact on those who suffer from rare diseases. At AavantiBio, we will push each other to perform at our very best and build a company that not only our employees are proud of, but also the rare disease community, because everyone knows we are trying to make a difference in patients’ lives.
Come join our team!