The Internet Archive is a non-profit organization working with 80+ world-class universities and libraries (in this case, the Getty Research Institute) to create the world's largest digital open library. We partner with institutions to digitize and share unique collections of bound materials.
We are looking for a Digital Scanner to operate a "Scribe" digitization machine that takes digital photos of books from various collections and displays them online for universal access.
Gain experience in the following fields of endeavor: building an open source digital library, digital photography and digital scanning software, preservation and handling of special collections, presentation and production of digital books.
Responsibilities and Duties
We are looking for Digital Scanners who are patient, conscientious, detail-oriented and who have the ability to work independently in a pleasant, low-stress work environment.
● Digitally scan images of pages in books and manuscripts using established processes and procedures.
● Ability to assess image quality and determine if a page has been skipped.
● Ability to trouble shoot and if that fails, to communicate with others about problems or solutions.
● Working knowledge of computers, e-mail, and spreadsheets - strong technical skills are preferred.
● Must be able to lift and move stacks of books (5-15 lbs. each) short distances, sit at a Scribe station, and use a foot pedal to raise and lower a glass platen.
● A high tolerance for repetitive tasks and expert attention to detail is necessary.
● Knowledge of library cataloging preferred.
● A love of books is a plus!
● Valid driver license required, own transportation preferred
● Walking: Ability to move about on foot to accomplish tasks, to pick up materials to scan.
● Lifting: Ability to raise and lower objects horizontally from position to position and lift up to 25 pounds safely.
● Pushing/Pulling: Ability to use upper extremities to exert force in order to draw, haul or tug carts in a sustained push or pull motion.
● Seeing: Required to have close visual acuity to determine the accuracy, neatness and thoroughness of scanning activity.
● Sitting: Works at a computer 100% of the time. Must be able to sit at a scanning device for full shift length.
● Scanning: Ability to use legs to push foot pedal, use hands and arms to raise and lower glass platen and to use eyes to see materials being scanned.
● Must have the ability to read, write in English and organize materials.
● Must be able to relate to other people in a professional manner.
● Ability to remain focused despite internal and external distractions.
● Must exhibit good safety awareness and judgment.
Please send a CV to email@example.com with the subject line: Santa Clarita Scanner Operator. Tell us about why you would like to join our team and what aspects of your work experience you think will be an asset to the project. We are grateful to all applicants but may only respond to those inquiries we would like to proceed with. Please get in touch before August 1, 2021 if interested. Training will take place in mid-August.
This is a full-time non-exempt hourly position. Starting wage is $15.00/hour. Benefits include medical, dental, FSA/DCA, 401k/403b retirement plan, LTD, life insurance.
As we are working on a Getty Research Institute campus, all staff are required to meet the Getty’s Safety Measures that are updated periodically.
At the Internet Archive, we believe we do our best work when our employees bring together diverse ideas. Members of all groups under represented in the tech industry and library world are strongly encouraged to apply. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local law.