Are you looking to accelerate your professional growth and take on new responsibility as a Back-End Engineer? Three Ships is seeking an experienced developer to take on an instrumental role in back end and front end development projects for our mattress and sleep portfolio.
As a member of the development team, you’ll be responsible for building, launching and maintaining a growing portfolio of landing pages and microsites, and building a code base to move between different properties. If you live and breath web development, love coming up with creative technical solutions and are excited about working in a growing business, this role is a perfect opportunity for you.
The Back-End Engineer will:
- Demonstrate strong experience with Object Oriented Programming principles
- Work in an Agile, fast paced environment
- Develop database design and architecture
- Implement and manage CI/CD pipelines
- Maintain responsible code commenting habits
- Help to containerize applications
- Work with WordPress, configuring from the ground up selecting and testing plugins for speed and feature set
- Help build a Headless/decoupled CMS site
- Ensure solutions are functional in all platforms, browsers and devices
- Provide expert technical direction, communication, and feedback to business partners
- Monitor site speed and make continuous improvements to accelerate page and site load time
- Partner with Business teams to troubleshoot and replicate production issues, and implement fixes
What your resume shows
- 2-5 years of professional back-end development experience
- Strong experience in PHP and/or Node.js
- AWS server administration experience
- CI/CD management experience
- WordPress development experience
- MySQL database design experience (NoSQL also desired, but not required)
- GraphQL experience is also very nice to have
- Ability to make code changes in a fast paced, iterative environment.
- Expert ability to scope and timeline a technical back end project
- Ability to work in a fast-paced work environment on a number of simultaneous projects
- Affinity for rapidly learning new frameworks and technologies as required
Why you should join us
- Results: At Three Ships we have nine consecutive years of profitability and a track record of successful growth in the digital marketing space.
- Stability: We are privately owned, have a holding period of “forever,” have no debt, have significant cash to invest – we’re “rock solid” financially.
- Exposure: You will have a front-row seat in growing a business. Your teammates have built and sold companies, managed 100s of employees, and run campaigns with Fortune 500 brands.
- Market Landscape: The mattress and sleep industries are highly relatable industries that are transforming. There’s no better time than now to be building a business in this space.
- Career Growth: There is no cap on growth, promotions or the opportunity to own and put your stamp on important projects. Prove your value and you will be rewarded accordingly.
- Learning: We are a small and mighty team but also have the advantage of tapping into the Three Ships ecosystem and working with subject matter experts in paid media, creative, branding, content strategy, SEO and more. The opportunity to grow new skills and learn from smart people is endless.
- Fun: The team has a high bar for excellence, but also a real interest in each other and making work fun.
Base salary and performance-based bonus commensurate with experience and a management role in an early-stage company. As a member of the Three Ships platform, you have access to competitive benefits, including health, 401k, a monthly wellness stipend for house cleaning, gym membership or massages, mobile reimbursement, and an office stocked with snacks, coffee and just about every other beverage you can imagine.
All applicants are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, gender identity, or any other discriminatory factors. Please note that we do not provide immigration sponsorship for this role. All offers are subject to a background check.
Background on Pillar Four Media
Launched in the fall of 2017, Pillar Four Media (part of the Three Ships family of digital businesses) operates a portfolio of websites that help consumers get their best night’s sleep. Known internally as the “Dream Team,” we aim to educate consumers about sleep health and help them make better, faster purchase decisions to improve their sleep. We also partner with the leading direct-to-consumer brands in the category to grow their businesses online. Our team is looking to grow and expand with the help of a Back-End Engineer.
Our Pillar Four Media portfolio includes:
- MattressAdvisor.com, launched in October 2017.
- MattressNerd.com, acquired in September 2018, which was founded by an actual mattress nerd – a former mattress salesman who was passionate about informing consumers.
- Sleepopolis.com, acquired in May 2020.
- MattressClarity.com, acquired in May 2020.
- Partnerships with large media brands such as Health, Parade, This Old House, US-Mattress, and others.
Pillar Four Media is part of the Three Ships family of digital businesses. Headquartered in Raleigh, NC, with an office in Charlotte, Three Ships started as a digital agency in 2009, and today includes other proprietary digital brands in natural health (RemedyReview.com), home services (HouseMethod.com), senior health (MedicareExpertUSA.com), and auto (CompareCarWarranties.com). Our brand partners include AT&T, TruGreen, American Home Shield, and all top 20 direct-to-consumer mattress brands like Casper, Leesa, Purple and more.
One Better Ventures (OBV) is an investor in Pillar Four. OBV is a consumer-focused venture capital firm focused on creating sustainable businesses that do good in the world. OBV is led by the former management teams of Burt’s Bees and Seventh Generation.
Mattresses represents a $23 billion market which is growing at a rapid pace. Our long-term vision for Pillar Four is to build the #1 content and commerce engine connecting consumers – wherever they are online – directly to the best sleep and mattress brands. Our mission is to help people live their best days by finding their best night’s sleep.