Founded in 1997, Goddard is a dynamic, full-service product development and engineering firm specializing in the design and development of medical technology, life science and industrial products. Drawing from the collective expertise of its experienced designers and engineers, Goddard’s mission is to deliver outstanding solutions that positively impact lives.
Why you should join us:
- Project diversification: Our teams have helped to re-imagine and build products ranging from implantable heart pumps to boat monitors to flying cars.
- On-site partnership model: Our engineers become a part of our clients’ team. Many of our clients opt to host our engineers on-site for the duration of their project. Every Thursday, the entire Goddard staff gathers in our Beverly and San Diego offices to discuss projects. The upshot? No matter where you are, you’re always supported by the whole team.
- We care about culture: From our “dress-for-your-day” policy, Athletic Club and Women’s Network to social hours and summer Fridays, we believe in taking care of our teammates.
Goddard is looking for a Principal Electrical Engineer to join our Beverly, MA team. This position is tasked with providing strong leadership and guidance for team members of Goddard Technologies and will work with the Director and engineering managers to establish short and long-term goals, plans and strategies for their team members. The Principal Electrical Engineer will be held accountable to be able to conduct themself in the manners listed below and refine any needed skills to efficiently cover all responsibilities.
- Be a motivating, positive, and success-oriented leader.
- Be a person who is familiar with the latest development/production/rapid- prototype methodologies.
- Admit weakness and areas you need help in no matter what situation you are faced with. Goddard prides themselves on helping each other and getting the right people or tools in to make a successful result.
- Take every care, regard, action, and ability to keep all privileged information not yet known to other individuals, companies, public, or other entity private and confidential in all regards.
- Continue to grow your capabilities within all realms of your career.
- Know and comply with Goddard’s QMS system.
- Strive for the right balance between strategic planning and tactical execution.
- Team member training.
- Work with Beverly located Human Resources and Accounting Departments for processes and procedures for day-to-day activity.
- Travel as-needed (valid driver’s license required). Passport required. Clients may be located locally, nationally, or internationally. Daily commutes are expected to be frequent, and national/international travel may be required though uncommon.
Principal Electrical Design Engineering:
- Use Altium or equivalent as primary E-CAD design platform.
- Lead, advise, or assist in the creation of the entire product documentation for manufacturing and assembly processes in accordance with Goddard practices.
- Designs are expected to balance function, appearance, form, and budgetary requirements.
- Databases will be suitable for direct transfer to manufacturing and will include all consideration functional design requirements. This work will often be performed as part of a team, which includes both engineers and industrial designers.
- Work with clients on individual projects, or as team lead, team member, or support member.
- Lead and guide other engineering members in product development responsibilities.
- Provide clients with insight of a development process based on your years of experience and intuition.
- Pass on your knowledge to more junior members of the group.
- Communicate to Director and executive team any significant deviations of ongoing projects.
- Communicate clearly and concisely with your team and client throughout a project or programs.
- Assist in client meetings to set expectations on project deliverables and high-risk areas. Negotiate when necessary for the best interest of the company.
- Manage and facilitate client interactions with strong, clear communication as it relates to deliverables, design reviews, deadlines, etc.
- Create and collect weekly project status updates.
- Responsible for the vetting and selection with all new employees who will be working as a possible direct report.
- Responsible for annual performance reviews for employees working as a direct report.
- Work with team members to estimate resource requirements, monitor progress, and balance and reallocate resources as needed.
- Work with team members and other managers to resolve conflicts among resources and between client and engineering teams.
- Remain apprised of the progress of certain projects, paying attention to any developing problems, and participate in minor and major problem resolutions.
- General forecasting and employee utilization needed on a weekly basis.
- Mentor other engineers as needed. Professionally and personally.
- Approve/deny vacation or sick request in accordance with the Company Handbook.
Business Development Assistance/Support:
- Work with business development to collect and review requests for proposals or request for support on a time and material or project bases. Ascertain project requirements or qualifications necessary for client support.
- Define project scope including proposal composition, lead and deliver presentations, estimate and stabilize the most appropriate process and deliverable to satisfy client needs.
- Perform research and discovery of certain potential clients’ history and background, establishing contact through cold calling or event attendance.
- Assist with marketing efforts when needed.
- Regularly attend industry networking events and trade shows.
- Go over customer satisfaction survey.
- Oversee the operation of your team ensuring it operates and goals are met based on the direction established in the strategic plans.
- Coordinate internal team staffing to maintain a company billable utilization that is satisfactory to the company criteria.
- Advise, research, and recommend processes or software applications that will benefit the company and its team members by way of efficiency.
- Be aware of team issues: personnel, projects, computer, phone, etc. Have a way to prioritize and plan to address each to a resolution.
Please note: Applicants must be authorized to work for ANY employer in the U.S. We are unable to sponsor or take over sponsorship of any employment Visa at this time.