Why you should join us:
- Project diversification: Our teams have helped to re-imagine and build products ranging from implantable heart pumps to boat monitors to flying cars.
- On-site partnership model: Our engineers become a part of our clients’ team. Many of our clients opt to host our engineers on-site for the duration of their project. Every Thursday, the entire Goddard staff gathers in our Beverly and San Diego offices to discuss projects. The upshot? No matter where you are, you’re always supported by the whole team.
- We care about culture: From our “dress-for-your-day” policy, Athletic Club and Women’s Network to social hours and summer Fridays, we believe in taking care of our teammates.
While working with Goddard Technologies as a Principal Firmware Engineer, you will work on a diverse range of products in the medical and industrial automation space as a consultant for clients ranging from startups innovating the medical device industry to Fortune 500 technology companies. An ideal candidate should possess a broad understanding of the embedded software landscape and the desire to keep up with the changes in technology.
You are expected to:
- Drive client products through the complete software life cycle, from prototyping to end of line.
- As a principal engineer, you will conduct and lead interviews of additional teammates with expectations of growing and developing a cohesive team.
- Be the primary lead on multiple projects, manage and lead groups of engineers, advise, or assist in the design and execution of projects.
- Manage and facilitate client interactions with strong, clear communication as it relates to deliverables, design reviews, deadlines, etc.
- Work with team members to estimate resource requirements, monitor progress, and balance and reallocate resources as needed.
- Communicate to senior management any significant deviations from project plans.
- Coordinate internal team staffing and budget requirements for projects.
- Travel as needed.
- Sensitivity to Intellectual Property, HIPAA compliance, and other types of privileged information.
You should be technically familiar and comfortable with:
- 8+ years of embedded software development experience.
- 3+ years of Medical Device Experience.
- 3+ years of Robotics Experience.
- Coding languages - C/C++ and Python programming expertise is required.
- Version control, Compiling, and Code packaging– Experience with tools sets like GCC, CMake, and Git is required.
- Scripting – Experience with developing Linux based applications using various scripting languages.
- Familiarity with Linux as an embedded development environment
- Wireless technology - Familiarity with Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE), Wi-Fi and other low power wireless standards.
- Microcontrollers - Experience in designing microcontroller and microprocessor-based systems including ARM Cortex M series microcontrollers.
- Serial Communication - Experience with firmware stacks for enabling connected devices via RS232/485, I2C, SPI, CAN, USB and Ethernet are required.
- Networking - Experience with Transport layer communications protocols and related network experience (TCP/IP, UDP, Sockets, Wireshark, etc.).
- Security and cryptography in embedded devices – AES, RSA, hardware security, etc.
- Low power - Ability to design a system to minimize power consumption for portable battery-operated devices.
- Cloud - Familiarity with connecting devices to the cloud.
- Hardware peripherals – Ability to recommend correct hardware for a project, and write drivers for motors, MEMS sensors, actuators and other peripherals.
- Compliance/Certification/Agency Approvals - Experience with FDA product compliance requirements including IEC 62304 and IEC 60601.
- Experience with various cost reduction techniques.
CI/CD best practices.
- Bringing up hardware in the loop testing environments, including but not limited to threads, synchronization, drivers, performance analysis, networking, root causing, peripheral input and output validation.
- State machine scheduler and RTOS device.
- Familiarity with Agile methodologies.
- Collaboration with Electrical Engineers & PCB Development:
- PCB reviews
- Understanding schematics
- Soldering, breadboarding, logic analyzers and multimeters
- Ability to produce QMS documentation within regulated industries including user requirement documents, trace matrices, and verification and validation plans.
- Collaboratively work with Systems Engineering to translate system level requirements into product architectures.
- Either create or oversee the creation of product documentation for the design, manufacturing and assembly process in accordance with Goddard Technologies practices.
- Advise, research, and recommend hardware & software applications that will benefit the company and its team members by way of efficiency.
Nice To Have:
- Familiar with automation systems using PLC and related software.
- Embedded Linux operating system and driver development.
- Experience in coding out-sourcing for prototype and production.
Please note: Applicants must be authorized to work for ANY employer in the U.S. We are unable to sponsor or take over sponsorship of any employment Visas at this time.
Goddard believes that everyone is entitled to fair opportunities and equal employment rights. We comply with all applicable laws prohibiting discrimination in hiring and the terms and conditions of employment including, but not limited to, compensation, promotion, discipline, or termination. Goddard is firm on its policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all employees and applicants on the basis of qualification and merit and will not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, veteran status, public assistance status, membership or activity in a local commission, or any other legally protected status in accordance with applicable local, state, and federal laws.