At Measures for Justice (MFJ), we have pioneered a new way to use data to measure criminal justice system performance in America. We collect, clean, code, and analyze county-level data to provide information on the whole system from arrest to post-conviction, on a county-by-county basis. This is a great opportunity for someone who wants to do good and be involved in cutting edge research and technology. We have challenged the status quo nationally and become a groundbreaker.
Measures for Justice seeks a Lead Software Developer who will be instrumental in the data engineering process by helping us to build systems and processes that help make collecting and transforming raw data files into datasets that the researchers can ingest and analyze more efficient.
What You Will Do
Develop reusable libraries in Kotlin to extract and transform data from various data sources, including files and databases
Write code to perform web-scraping
Create desktop-based tools to make researchers' work more efficient
- Computer Science Degree or equivalent software development experience
- 8+ years of Java development experience preferred with an interest in learning Kotlin.
- A highly experienced software developer with a wide breadth of experience who provides leadership and mentors other developers on the team.
- Very strong critical thinking skills and knowledge of software development best practices and design patterns.
- Solid experience with many different programming languages, libraries, tools and software development technologies.
- Demonstrable experience with delivering web-based products and services.
- Experience in building highly scalable data oriented, cloud-based infrastructure products with Amazon Web Services (AWS).
Strong writing and communication skills.
Candidate must live in, or be willing to move to, Rochester NY.