Role and responsibilities
The Senior Counsel will be responsible for a broad spectrum of internal and external legal issues and initiatives, including legal aspects of project development, financings, construction and operations of large solar and battery storage facilities, debt and equity financings, M&A, strategic alliances and joint ventures and compliance matters. S/he/they will also work on legal aspects of the Company’s transactional matters with its business partners, including areas of development, real estate, permitting, title work, supply agreements, procurement, construction, and operations. While supporting a variety of legal matters s/he/they will ensure compliance with applicable laws and regulations at the local, state, and federal levels.
· Draft, revise, and negotiate complex agreements for renewable energy project development in collaboration with relevant internal subject matter experts, including procurement contracts, EPC and O&M agreements, offtake agreement, real estate documents, financing agreements, professional services agreements, and various supporting documents for PV solar and energy storage projects
· Partner closely with internal business teams to achieve desired business outcomes while minimizing legal risk
· Effectively supervise external counsel on complex, often novel, transactions
· Assist the internal business teams in the management of existing contracts during the project development and construction cycle
· Continuously make contributions to improve processes and drive best practices
· Examine complex situations and provide practical, timely and accurate legal advice
· Work closely and effectively with other members of the Legal team, senior management, investors, and employees of all levels and cultures
· Develop and implement programs to educate and train business teams on legal issues
· Develop and implement systems, processes, guidelines, and forms to increase the efficiency of the delivery of legal services
· Provide other legal support as needed
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
· Demonstrated business acumen and credibility to inspire confidence among internal clients
· JD and active license to practice law in at least one US state
· 5+ years of related legal experience
· Renewable energy industry experience required, knowledge of solar industry preferred
· Familiarity with project financings and related impacts on the business required.
· Excellent drafting, negotiating, and writing skills
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills, as well as impeccable attention to detail, strong sense of accountability
· Experience effectively managing competing priorities, being nimble, and delivering high-quality work in a fast-paced environment
· Creative and strategic problem solving to improve contract content and legal guidance
· Ability to work independently with minimal supervision and in collaboration with others to get work completed in a timely fashion
· Ability to take a commercial approach to the provision of legal advice
· Honesty and integrity
· Commercial mindset, strong prioritization, communication, and organizational skills
· Willingness to learn and work on novel transactions and structures
· Ability to succinctly communicate and summarize complex issues into actionable deliverables
· Driven, resourceful, and comfortable working in an entrepreneurial environment
· Rigorous attention to detail, work ethic, personal responsibility, work product ownership, and organizational skills
· Ability to quickly step into new tasks and adapt to new circumstances in a dynamic environment
· Ability to handle a variety of projects, manage competing priorities and coordinate multiple tasks simultaneously
At Primergy we are committed to providing and maintaining a workplace that is free of known hazards. To better safeguard the health of our employees and their families, our customers and visitors, and the broader community, we have implemented a mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy. All new hires must be fully vaccinated by their hire date. Proof of vaccination will be required prior to start. Consistent with applicable law, reasonable accommodation will be considered in response to requests.
Primergy is committed to building a diverse, equitable and inclusive culture. We recognize that underrepresented groups such as women and BIPOC may be less likely to apply to a role if they don’t meet 100% of the listed qualifications. We encourage you to apply if you meet some of the qualifications and if this role is aligned with your career aspirations and interests.
Primergy is an equal opportunity employer and committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. We welcome all applicants regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or Veteran status.