PLEASE DOWNLOAD THE PDF FOR THE FULL JOB DESCRIPTION
Primergy Solar, LLC is a developer, owner and operator focused on both distributed and utility scale solar PV and battery storage projects in North America. Primergy Solar features a diverse and talented team with decades of experience in renewables project development, financing, construction and operations. It is currently managing and progressing a significant portfolio of operational and development stage solar+ battery storage projects. Primergy Solar is a portfolio company of Quinbrook Infrastructure Partners and represents Quinbrook’s principal solar and solar plus energy storage investment platform in North America. Primergy is growing our small, experienced team to manage the significant growth in our business. We offer a fun, entrepreneurial culture, competitive compensation, and the opportunity to work with an experienced, achievement-oriented team.
Role and responsibilities
The Senior Manager, Environmental Services will be responsible for managing the environmental compliance and air/water construction permitting activities during the preconstruction and construction phases through project closeout associated with Primergy’s portfolio of current and future construction projects. The successful candidate will have at least 7 years of experience in the renewable energy industry, specifically in North America, the ability to effectively communicate complex ideas, and the ability and enthusiasm to successfully execute projects.
· Air/water construction permit and environmental compliance scoping, scheduling, bidding, and contracting
• Provide air/water construction permitting and compliance budget inputs, objectives, schedules, and deliverables for assigned projects. Track all environmental and land use permit conditions and mitigation measures necessary for projects during the preconstruction and construction phases through project close out and transition to operations.
• Assist with project scope planning, including reviewing EPC proposals to ensure that permit condition compliance is identified and properly budgeted for, as needed.
• Identify, secure bids from, and manage work activities of environmental and permitting consultants of assigned projects. Manage contracting and negotiations with key consultants, ensure proposals are competitive and feasible, and optimize scopes of work.
• Work with outside consultants to review jurisdictional-specific project approvals and supporting documentation and ensure that owner scope is budgeted appropriately, and EPC scope is clearly delineated in the respective contract(s). Examples of relevant jurisdictional-specific documentation includes those related to local counties, air quality districts, state environmental protection agencies, USFWS, BLM, NEPA and CEQA.
· Travel to project sites and stakeholder engagement during preconstruction and construction activities
• Participate in site visits to project locations, prior to EPC contracting and construction start, to perform site reconnaissance and due diligence efforts relating to site conditions from an environmental resource perspective.
• Travel to site locations to meet with EPC contractors, team members, and consultants to manage the environmental permitting condition compliance during construction activities and review the reporting methodologies, document control and site conditions.
• Meet in person with regulators and stakeholders, as needed, to assist the project team in facilitating a successful collaboration in representing Primergy for environmental compliance and air/water construction permitting.
· QA/QC of environmental reporting, mitigation measure condition compliance and air/water construction permitting documents during the preconstruction, construction and project closeout phases of a project
• Review environmental reports and surveys prepared by consultants for compliance with local, state and federal policies to ensure project remains in compliance and meets all obligations set forth in the approved environmental permitting project documents.
• Review air/water construction permitting reports and amendments, as needed, being prepared by consultants and/or EPC for compliance with regulations and permit conditions.
• Identify when the project is out of compliance with environmental and air/water construction permitting conditions and regulations. Lead efforts to document any occurrences not in compliance and work with the project team to implement a corrective mitigation strategy.
· Identify ways to mitigate and manage potential environmental compliance impacts
• Identify, propose and implement creative or alternative study and permitting approaches that reduce exposure to permitting risks, optimize construction schedules and drive additional project value.
· Ensure that the Primergy environmental study and permitting standards and document control are adhered to during the preconstruction and construction phases of the project
• Maintain proper records and participate in audit processes of the EPC as it relates to the environmental compliance and air/water construction permitting activities during construction to support a successful project closeout
• Manage consultant and third-party reporting of field surveys for biological, avian, botany and cultural resources
· Support environmental and permitting aspects of project financing activities
• Assist with the project team on environmental and air/water construction permitting components and ensure that data rooms are populated and organized in accordance with company naming nomenclature and standards, including during support of financing activities.
· Communicate with all parts of the organization successfully
• Ability to communicate and sync cross-functionally regularly to minimize project risks with various team members, including Project Development, M&A, Legal, Origination, Finance, and Operations.
• Participate in regularly scheduled project team calls, prepare agendas and meeting minutes, and identify key action items. Work collaboratively with and be responsive to requests from internal colleagues.
• Provide regular updates to the Operations team and promptly raise concerns when they become apparent.
· Work with construction and operations to make sure obligations of permits and environmental regulations are met
• Manage internal resources and outside consultants to perform various environmental and construction permitting compliance tasks that will include contract management, reporting, field activities, regulatory interfacing, problem resolution and documentation to satisfy conditions of each project during the preconstruction, construction, and closeout phases
· 5% - Other duties as assigned
· Approximately 50-70% travel required
· Requires an undergraduate degree at minimum or equivalent combination of education and experience.
· Minimum 7 years of relevant renewable energy development and/or construction experience.
· Extensive experience with an understanding of environmental compliance and reporting, discretionary permitting conditions and air/water constructing permitting requirements.
· Construction site experience on large projects and working directly with large construction teams is required
· Solar development and energy storage development experience is required.
· Previous experience working in a commercial environment with excellent counterparty focused, customer management, negotiation, and influencing skills, is preferred.
- Unparalleled honesty and integrity.
- Highly energetic and results-driven with a teamwork attitude.
- Track record supporting successful construction of renewable energy projects through COD and project closeout is required.
- A general understanding of federal, state and local permitting requirements for a solar development project over multiple jurisdictions and US regions; including discretionary land use permits (ie, conditional use permits, special use permits, zone changes/amendments, and general/comprehensive plan amendments, BLM/BOR/BIA/DOE Rights-of-Way) and natural resource permits across the U.S. Experience securing federal approvals/consultations including Section 7 and 10 of the federal Endangered Species Act, NHPA Section 106 Consultation, CWA Section 404 and 402 Permitting, MBTA, and BGEPA.
- A thorough understanding of environmental mitigation requirements, and experience implementing cost-effective mitigation strategies.
- Ability to stay current with changing regulations and trends influencing permitting and permitting compliance requirements of renewable energy is required.
- Skills and knowledge with a combination of renewable energy technologies are required. Concisely frame issues by providing context, analysis, recommendations, and risk/benefit tradeoffs, both in written and verbal format to project teams and to senior management.
- Create control and influence over the costs, terms, and schedules of key environmental and permitting milestones.
- Commercial mindset, strong prioritization, communication, and organizational skills are required.
- Ability to quickly step into new tasks and adapt to unique circumstances in a dynamic environment.
- Successfully operating in a geographically dispersed organization is a plus.
· Willingness to work extended hours, when necessary.
· Ability to enjoy life, find time for oneself, and re-charge when time allows. We seek people who can manage a dynamic schedule.
At Primergy we are committed to providing and maintaining a workplace that is free of known hazards. To better safeguard the health of our employees and their families, our customers and visitors, and the broader community, we have implemented a mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy. All new hires must be fully vaccinated by their hire date. Proof of vaccination will be required prior to start. Consistent with applicable law, reasonable accommodation will be considered in response to requests.
Primergy Solar is an equal opportunity employer and committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. We welcome all applicants regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or Veteran status.
PLEASE DOWNLOAD THE PDF FOR THE FULL JOB DESCRIPTION