Job Title: Director, Transmission and Interconnection
Position Type: Full Time
HR Contact: Sara Deslierres
Location: Flexible / Oakland, CA - HQ
Applications Accepted By:
HR Primergy Solar, LLC
555 12th St, Suite 110
Oakland CA 94607
Primergy Solar - an investment platform focused exclusively on acquiring, developing, and owning solar, and solar + storage, and stand-alone storage assets in the North American market. Primergy is wholly owned by Quinbrook Infrastructure Partners – a $1.6 billion private equity fund specializing in investing in renewable energy.
Primergy is growing our small, experienced team to manage the significant growth in our business.
Role and Responsibilities
The Director, Transmission & Interconnection will serve as the lead for the company’s transmission and interconnection activities from a market and commercial perspective. The primary responsibilities will include oversight of the transmission and interconnection process for the project portfolio, evaluation of transmission opportunities, rights, constraints, pricing, and congestion as it relates to Primergy’s projects and the broader renewable market.
- Lead all interconnection and transmission engineering and commercial activities.
- Provide strategic and technical input to Development, Commercial, Finance, Operations, EPC teams as projects are evaluated for purchase, development, and ongoing investment
- Lead technical and economic evaluation studies
of solar and solar + storage energy projects, including market price analysis.
- Evaluate transmission and interconnection tariffs, costs, timelines, and processes for a variety of markets to provide strategic guidance.
- Participate in regional and national organizations and policy initiates related to expanding grid access and modifying regulations for solar and solar+storage projects
- Collaborate with developers to launch projects by assessing the transmission for sites.
- Determine the optimum plan/strategy for project interconnection using analytical tools and methods.
- Support EPC, operations, and O & M in project commissioning and grid integration.
- Work with leadership and internal/external stakeholders to grow the company's portfolio through the identification of new transmission and interconnection opportunities
- Work closely with utilities to identify and resolve integration-related issues; provide technical and strategic solutions to utilities and internal teams to ensure project interconnection.
- Monitor tariff and policy changes in various regions and provide a detailed and complete. Understanding of the interconnection process to the broader organization for all active markets.
- Develop a thorough understanding and evaluation of potential interconnection options for various projects, and the related costs, benefits, and challenges for each option.
- Approximately 25% travel required.
Education and Experience requirements
- Requires a Bachelor's of Science degree in Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or related /similar field. A Masters degree is preferred.
- 5+ years with direct experience in interconnection and transmission planning in the North American energy markets.
- Experience working with project or renewable development teams a plus.
- Provide Single Line and electrical diagram support for interconnection applications and ongoing interconnection study processes including negotiating interconnection agreements.
- In-depth abilities with AutoCAD, Microsoft Excel and Powerpoint, Power System Modeling, and Studies using GE PSLF and PowerWorld.
- OASIS/OATI, GE PSLF, PSSE, Gridview, ABB Velocity Suite, and/or Powerflow for purposes of utility grid analysis (congestion, pricing, delivery).
- Proficiency with SPS/RAS Studies, NERC TPL Studies, Post Transient Voltage (P-V, Q-V analysis) Subsynchronous Resonance/Control Interaction Screen Studies.
- Preliminary Transmission Cost Estimates.
- Experience working with utilities, ISO/RTOs, public utility commissions, and regulators.
- P.E. license preferred
· Honesty and integrity.
· Resourceful and accomplished research skills - ability to effectively utilize publicly available materials.
· Ability to succinctly communicate and summarize complex issues into actionable deliverables.
· Driven, resourceful and comfortable working in an entrepreneurial environment.
· Rigorous attention to detail, work ethic, personal responsibility, work product ownership, and organizational skills
· Requires intimate knowledge of the power and renewable energy market dynamics. Preference for renewable experience in U.S. competitive wholesale electricity markets.
· Requires the ability to stay current with changing technologies, regulations, and trends influencing the continued adoption of renewable energy.
· Commercial mindset, strong prioritization, communication, and organizational skills are required.
· Ability to quickly step into new tasks and adapt to new circumstances in a dynamic environment.
· Willingness to work extended hours, when necessary
Primergy Solar is an equal opportunity employer and committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. We welcome all applicants regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or veteran status.