OBJECTIVE OF THE POSITION:
The Lab Assistant is an entry level position responsible for providing lab and operational support services to the Operations Team. This position reports to department supervisor and takes direction from higher level technical personnel.
The ideal candidate will have experience in working under possibly hazardous conditions (e.g. pathogens or chemicals). This individual will be well-trained to maintain safety conditions and will be passionate for doing work that makes things move forward.
Pickup, receiving and storage of clinical specimens (i.e., blood); accessioning specimens for clinical testing, making labels, setting up tubes and supplies, logging into the computer-based laboratory information system; inventory management support and general lab assistant type work (e.g., maintaining eye wash station, fire extinguishers, shower, stockroom, etc.).
As a Laboratory Assistant, this role is required to abide by applicable laws, regulations, and accreditation standards governing the Laboratory meeting qualifications under CLIA 06D2085730, Section 493.1495; Human Resources Sustaining Standard of Practice 4 (HR Sr) Technical Personnel.
COMPETENCY OR POSITION REQUIREMENTS:
• Compliance with immunization and other health record procedures
• Train on Quality-required SOPs prior to performing tasks in the laboratory
• Compliance with all laboratory safety procedures
• Ability to understand new concepts and apply them accurately
• Ability to follow detailed instructions as well as organizational policies and procedures
• Must have basic communication and interpersonal skills to enable effective interface with internal professionals
• Ability to work independently or in a team environment
• Competency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
• High-school diploma (certificate)
• Currently enrolled in a Baccalaureate degree-granting program, or degree in Chemistry, Biology, or other life science, or other combination of experience/training that includes laboratory experience