Job Title: Accounting Lead
Reports to: Director of Finance
Messenger International is a ministry with a divine calling to develop uncompromising followers of Christ who transform our world and therefore, this position will be filled by a candidate who 1) embodies the core beliefs of our organization with respect to God, The Bible, and God’s function in our everyday life and 2) champions our fundamental commitment as an organization to spread the gospel to the world.
Responsible for advancing Messenger International’s vision by passionately safeguarding the organization’s finances as well as stewarding contributions and operating expenses so that we as an organization can maximize global discipleship impact.
Duties and Responsibilities:
· Provide technical accounting expertise and leadership to the Finance Team
· Excellently execute financial and project accounting processes, including oversight of other finance team members and review of their work
· Analyze weekly cash flow and prepare a weekly report to be reviewed by the Director of Finance
· On a monthly basis, execute the close process in a complete and efficient manner, including the roll-forward and reconciliation of various balance sheet schedules
· Prepare and analyze monthly financial statements for accuracy and compliance within the established deadlines for review by the Director of Finance, which includes reporting any significant variances or concerns to management
· Support the year-end close process, which includes preparing documentation and schedules for the annual audit, assisting with the year-end inventory count, and working directly with auditors to complete their audit processes.
· Ensure compliance with GAAP principles and other relevant non-profit accounting standards
· Assisting in the design and preparation of annual budgets for review by management
· Review and recommend modifications to accounting systems and procedures
· Develop and document business processes and accounting policies to maintain and strengthen internal controls
· Responsible for maintaining knowledge of applicable accounting expertise and reviewing new accounting standards for applicability and implementation
· Other duties as necessary and assigned
Education and/or Experience:
· Bachelor’s degree in accounting, business administration or similar field is required
· 3-5 years of proven accounting experience is required, non-profit accounting experience is preferred
· 1-2 years of experience leading team members is preferred
· CPA certification is preferred
· Thorough knowledge of basic accounting procedures
· In-depth understanding of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP)
· Demonstrates technical accounting expertise
· Working knowledge of the preparation and analysis of financial accounting statements
· Experience with general ledger functions and the month-end/year-end close process
· Proficient with Quickbooks Enterprise or other Quickbooks software
· Advanced MS Excel skills including Vlookups and pivot tables
· Extremely trustworthy with sensitive data and operates with the utmost level of integrity in all matters
· Meticulously detail oriented and organized
· Able to effectively communicate via phone, email, or text with team members and external contacts
· Ability to multitask and prioritize high volume of tasks, correspondence, and deadlines
· Robust supervisory and leadership skills
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
· Signed acknowledgement of Messenger’s “Statement of Faith” and “Staff Covenant/Lifestyle Agreement” forms.
· Signed acknowledgement to policies and procedures as stated in our employee handbook.
· Has the ability to function independently. Possess the ability to speak. Has the physical ability to be able to lift up to 25 pounds (with or without assistance). This position also may require long periods of standing up and walking.
Colorado Springs area
Full-time, 40-hour work week with the potential for occasional overtime. This is an exempt position and is not subject to overtime pay.
This is an experienced position with a salary range of $65,000 - $70,000, depending on qualifications and experience.
· Health, Dental, AD&D & Life insurance
· Paid time off
· Employee Assistance Program
· Birth of Child leave benefits after 3-year tenure
· Messenger will pay for renewal of certifications and required continued education