What is the Role
NatureServe is currently recruiting a talented, motivated, and entrepreneurial professional to join our growing development team. This is a new position and one we envision to be a key ingredient in unlocking our success in building new and sustainable philanthropic support.
This individual will assist in the development and implementation of our strategy for a comprehensive core and mid-level donor engagement program. The Manager will be responsible for building a robust pipeline of new donors, cultivating and retaining current donors and re-engaging lapsed donors. The Manager will leverage their creative ideas and persuasive writing skills to craft campaigns that trigger engagement and action.
The Manager will also build and manage a diversified roster of giving options including online fundraising (peer-to-peer, DIY, streaming) and “other ways to give” (3rd party fundraisers, Amazon Smile, Stocks, QCDs, etc.). The Manager will use their experience in implementing digital-first fundraising and engagement.
The position reports to the Chief Advancement Officer and will work in close collaboration with other philanthropy and communication team members.
We think this job is perfect for an ambitious fundraiser who is comfortable leveraging technology for data-driven precision fundraising. The ideal candidate is a builder and a doer, enjoys persuasive writing, proactive, highly organized, able to work independently, compassionately competitive, curious, creative and thoughtfully connects with donors and colleagues.
What you will do
- Strategize, implement, and manage NatureServe’s core and mid-level donor segment engagement. (estimated 40% of time)
- Create and implement short, intermediate and long-term core ($1-$149) and mid-level ($150-$500) gift donor strategies.
- Research and apply best practice acquisition and cultivation efforts for donors in the $1 to $500 range, working with communication and marketing colleagues when needed.
- Cultivate core and mid-level donors as segments and as a pipeline for future major gifts.
- Identify and build relationships with target donor acquisition sources including workplace giving campaigns, donor prospect mail list, and target prospect donor segments.
- Write, edit and review donor communications for donor prospect and annual fund campaigns.
- Implement and track data-driven, relationship-based, precision-fundraising engagement plan for each segment.
- Monitor the core donor, mid-level program performance, including accurate and timely recordkeeping and reporting of identification, qualification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of prospective and current donor.
- Make regular and personalized contact with donors with the purpose of retaining and cultivating their giving.
- Build and manage a diversified roster of giving options (estimated 40% of time)
- Leverage a digital first approach to identify and implement scalable digital fundraising efforts. Example includes peer-to-peer fundraising online events, DIY online events, gaming or stream events)
- Build and manage the participation and marketing of “other ways to give”. (Examples include Amazon Smile, stock donation, Qualified Charitable Donations, crypto, and employer match.)
- Build and cultivate relationships with 3rd party fundraisers.
- Utilize a CRM to track and plan donor cultivation.
- Manage the content updates for the philanthropic relevant pages on natureserve.org and related micro-sites.
- Acquire and maintain a sound understanding of the NatureServe’s associated programs, campaigns, events and fundraising/marketing themes and priorities. (estimated 10% of time)
- Interpret our complex and technical science to compelling and inspiring messages for -the general audience.
- Collaborate with staff and board members to understand program priorities and focus.
- Host point of entry online events.
- Other duties as assigned. (estimated 10% of time)
Who you are
· You have a passion for biodiversity, conservation, and nature.
· You have at least a Bachelor’s degree in communications, social work, business administration or another relevant field.
· You have 2+ years of fundraising experience with similar responsibilities.
- You have experience in starting and growing online fundraising options including peer-to-peer online events, DIY events, streaming events, etc..
- You have experience with workplace giving campaigns including Combined Federal Campaign, private and public workplace campaigns.
- You understand dynamics of fundraising in a non-profit affiliate or network model.
- You have a demonstrated record of success generating (copy, design and logistics) mailed and electronic fundraising appeals to acquire, re-engage and keep donors.
- You have knowledge and command in building relationships with current and prospective donors online and through the mail.
- You enjoy writing and are organized.
- You gravitate toward a customer-service approach in interacting with donors and colleagues.
- You are self-motivated and disciplined to regularly set and achieve work goals.
- You enjoy connecting with people electronically, over the phone and in-person.
- You want to be part of a high-functioning, collaborative and -dynamic team.
- You are proficient with MS Office and have CRM experience.
- This position has no supervisory responsibilities/no direct reports.
You will join the ground floor of building our philanthropic strength. You will work closely and be supported by a team of three development professionals- Development Associate, Director of Major Gifts and Chief Advancement Officer.
This is us:
For nearly 50 years, NatureServe has been the authoritative source for biodiversity data throughout the Western Hemisphere. With an international network of nearly 100 natural heritage programs across the United States and Canada, NatureServe is the leading source of information on rare and endangered species and threatened ecosystems. To protect threatened biodiversity, NatureServe works with over 1,000 conservation scientists to collect, aggregate, and standardize biodiversity statistics, providing comprehensive data to the public for strategic conservation efforts. NatureServe and its network programs develop and manage the most comprehensive data for over 100,000 species and ecosystems, answering fundamental questions about what exists, where it is found, and how it is doing.
TRAVEL, WORK ENVIRONMENT, AND PHYSICAL DEMANDS
- We prioritizes work-life balance and supports a flexible schedule. This is a full-time position, working 35 hours per week, ability to work 70% within Monday-Thursday, 9 AM – 5 PM eastern, and Friday 9 AM- NOON, eastern, preferred.
- The Manager operates in a professional office environment and routinely uses digital communication mediums.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear and will require staring at a computer screen and/or documents for extended periods of time.
- Travel may be necessary to build colleague relationships. Anticipated travel ranges 5-10%.
- This position is expected to regularly attend our meetings and trainings.
- As a condition of beginning and maintaining employment, this position is required to adhere to all NatureServe policies, including any COVID workplace and vaccination policies adopted.
NatureServe offers full-time employees a comprehensive benefits package that includes:
- Health, dental, and vision insurance
- Short and long-term disability
- Annual and sick leave
- Life insurance
- Telework/Flex work
NATURESERVE IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
An equal opportunity, reasonable accommodations employer, NatureServe complies with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990. If you need accommodation in the employment process or this document in an alternative format, please contact our office at 703-908-1840 or firstname.lastname@example.org. We stand in support of equality for and advancement of all people based on their qualifications and actions alone without regard to color, gender, age, religion, national origin, or disability.