For nearly 50 years, NatureServe has been the authoritative source for biodiversity data throughout the Western Hemisphere. With an international network of nearly 100 natural heritage programs across the United States, Canada, and Latin America, NatureServe is the leading source of information on rare and endangered species and threatened ecosystems. To protect threatened biodiversity, NatureServe works with over 1,000 conservation scientists to collect, aggregate, and standardize biodiversity statistics, providing comprehensive data to the public for strategic conservation efforts. NatureServe and its network programs develop and manage the most comprehensive data for over 100,000 species and ecosystems, answering fundamental questions about what exists, where it is found, and how it is doing.
NatureServe offers full-time employees a comprehensive benefits package that includes:
- 401K savings and retirement plan with matching contributions
- Health and dental insurance
- Short and long-term disability
- Annual and sick leave
- Life insurance
- Telework/Flex work
The Deputy Director of Technology and Partnerships manages a diverse and expanding portfolio of new and existing technology implementation projects. We are seeking mid-career candidates with 8-10 years of professional project management experience who are passionate about harnessing the latest tech to protect the planet – nerds for nature are encouraged to apply!
The Technology and Partnerships Deputy will work closely with the Executive Vice President (EVP) to oversee multiple high-profile initiatives in partnership with top tier tech companies. Position responsibilities include evaluating business processes, anticipating requirements, uncovering areas for improvement, and developing technical requirements. In addition to project execution, the Deputy Director also supports risk management and department budget management activities.
NatureServe is not a traditional software development company. We are a non-profit primarily comprised of scientists and conservation professionals. You will join a talented, dedicated team of software engineers and scientists that work together as members of agile teams. Visit our story map to explore some of NatureServe’s conservation data and tools.
- Serve as deputy to the Executive Vice President for Technology and Partnerships
- Manage a diverse portfolio of technology project implementation teams
- Understand and analyze organizational technology requirements and perform business requirements analysis
- Work with project stakeholders to define project scope and ensure technical feasibility
- Solicit and onboard paid and pro-bono strategic technology vendor partnerships
- Coordinate resource availability and allocation for both internal resources and third-party vendors for successful project execution
- Recruit and assign staff resources to meet project delivery schedules
- Mentor project management staff
- Assist with developing and managing departmental budgets
- Pursue new business leads and develop proposals that are responsive to customer technical requirements, schedule, and budget constraints
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- Experience managing software projects using an agile approach
- Ability to manage and coordinate multiple project teams simultaneously
- Budget forecasting and reporting experience
- Business requirements analysis experience
- Risk management and change management experience
- Excellent client-facing and internal written and verbal communication skills
- Experience organizing and conducting online meetings using web conferencing tools, e.g. Zoom
- Proficiency with issue tracking software and help desk ticketing systems, e.g. Jira and Freshdesk
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office
- Solid organizational skills including attention to detail and ability to multi-task
- Established leadership skills
The following skills are not requirements but would be very beneficial:
- Understands NatureServe’s mission and demonstrates a commitment to conservation
- Background in conservation biology, ecology, or natural resources management
- PMI-ACP certification and/or Scrum Master training
- Cloud GIS technical implementation experience
- Technology contracts management experience
We consider candidates from any educational background. We value your ability to solve problems over your formal education credentials.
ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Ability to travel independently and attend conferences and meetings
- Ability to speak clearly and hear well, to participate effectively
in telecommunications with network members and partners
- Ability to conform to standard office hours
- Typing and repetitive motions associated with computer keyboarding responsibilities
NATURESERVE IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
An equal opportunity, reasonable accommodations employer, NatureServe complies with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990. If you need accommodation in the employment process or this document in an alternative format, please contact our office at 703-908-1840 or firstname.lastname@example.org. We stand in support of equality for and advancement of all people based on their qualifications and actions alone without regard to color, gender, age, religion, national origin, or disability.