Job Title: Biological Field Technician and Lead Biological Field Technician
Appointment Type: Temporary/Seasonal
Job Location: Northern California, BLM Eagle Lake and Applegate Field Offices
Salary $13.00 -$18.50 hourly + per diem
Position Dates: late April to mid-August
NatureServe is a 501(C)3 organization that supports biodiversity conservation at the local, national and international levels through our network of member programs and other institutional alliances. NatureServe is recruiting seasonal biological field technicians to collect data in support of vegetation community sampling in dry sagebrush and woodland habitats in northeastern California and northwestern Nevada. The project involves field data collection of Assessment, Inventory, and Monitoring (AIM) information on Bureau of Land Management (BLM) lands in the Applegate and Eagle Lake districts in northeastern California and adjacent Nevada, with supplemental data collection in support of ongoing fuels and fire monitoring.
NatureServe is seeking to fill up to four full-time, seasonal field biological technicians and up to three lead field biological technician to conduct field sampling. The field season is expected to occur from late April to mid-August. The work will include following established vegetation and soil sampling methods on new or existing ecological monitoring sites, including plot and line-based sampling, identification of plants to the species level, digging soil pits and analyzing soils. Knowledge of native plants, the flora of northeastern California and northwestern Nevada, ecological field monitoring methods, field sampling and project management needed. Availability for participation in a BLM AIM training near Susanville, CA in late April is strongly preferred.
Lead Technician positions would start up to 2 weeks in advance of the field season to assist with planning field logistics and safety. Lead Technician position includes responsibility for supporting crew safety in the field, and coordinating sampling logistics and scheduling, including organization and quality control of paper and electronic field data.
Must be able to work 10-hour days for 8 days at a time (followed by 6 days off), while working and camping in remote locations.
- Two years of coursework in ecology, natural resources, range management, or an equivalent combination of training and experience
- Field experience collecting scientific data
- A valid driver’s license required for all positions
- Ability to identify plants in the field to the species level and experience using dichotomous keys required for all positions
- Willingness and ability to work long hours and unusual schedules (typically 10 hours a day for 8 days) while car camping
- Ability to hike up to 5 miles / day while carrying a heavy pack (up to 40 lbs), and ability to assist in digging soil pits and in analyzing soils and erosion data required for all positions
Required for lead technician:
- Experience coordinating logistics of data collection and safety planning for field crews
- A completed BS/BA degree with two years of coursework in ecology, natural resources, range management
- Field experience collecting scientific data and experience with vegetation data sampling
- Experience navigating with topographic maps and compass, aerial photography and GPS to remote field locations
- Willingness to work in challenging conditions including hot and cold weather, rugged terrain, and outdoor hazards while maintaining a commitment to team safety
- Careful attention to detail and strong organizational skills to complete lengthy field forms and electronic data entry
- Previous experience with the BLM AIM methodology
- Wilderness First Aid or other field safety training preferred for all positions
- Experience driving 4x4 vehicles on rough roads
additional information contact: Emily Seddon at Emily_Seddon@natureserve.org
NATURESERVE IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
An equal opportunity, reasonable accommodations employer, NatureServe complies with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990. If you need accommodation in the employment process or this document in an alternative format, please contact our office at 703-908-1840 or email@example.com. We stand in support of equality for and advancement of all people based on their qualifications and actions alone without regard to color, gender, age, religion, national origin, or disability.